Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Releationship between tension and current in audio signals
Releationship between tension and current in audio signals
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2017, 09:46 PM   #11
Joanito is offline Joanito  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I already understand... i already suspected that the pots resistence is logaritmic/exponential. I mean, when i turn from 0% to 25%, the the resistence at 0% minus the resistence at 25 % , is bigger than the last 25%.

And yes, now i'm thinking more clearly and i understand that is the power that isn't directly proporcional not the relationship between tension and current.
Thanks all.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:53 PM   #12
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

This is what I meant by the log pot being inaccurate, the red line is a "commercial log pot" Potentiometers (Beginners' Guide to Pots)
Old 25th October 2017, 01:01 AM   #13
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanito View Post
....it comes to a point that is impossible to hear, there is also no equipment that supports so many db's and it would be a problem ( or impossible ) to build the power supply. Right ?
No.

Go to your local electric guitar shop. They can sell you a 3,000 Watt amplifier for under $999, no problem. (In a small town, they might have to order it for you.)

Go to a BIG rock music concert. Last I looked, 10,000 Watts was a small system. It is not hard to build a 10,000 Watt amplifier (if you are very experienced). It is a little hard to build a "good" loudspeaker which can use that much power, and in BIG venues it is very useful to use arrays of speakers so that they can be aimed to cover the audience (and not the tin ceiling). "Modular". Dozens of drivers and dozens of 2,000W amps.

I have seen a 3,000 Watt system sold to a 150 seat church. It was the base module for a system that would be used for arrays in 1,000 seat theaters and large drink/dance venues. I thought it was over-kill for a medium church, but it was very well designed and they won't lack for clean power.

And consider DC power lines. AC is handy for large electric power over long distances, but it has problems for very long distances or between unsynchronized sources. They convert AC to DC, send it over the wire, then convert the DC to AC for local uses. The DC-AC conversion "IS" an audio power amplifier, within limits. They are normally run at 50/60Hz (an audio bass frequency) but they actually run at the Hz they are told to. Mercury-tank and thyristors might not go over 200Hz, but IGBTs, GTOs, and IGCTs can switch faster, and MOSFETs can be stacked. 4,000 MEGAwatts is not unusual for these systems.

So it "can" be done. The problem is that audio amplifier cost rises faster than the loudness. And historical trends. In 1928 only a rich man could afford a One Watt amplifier. In 1950 a 10 Watt was affordable; in the 1970s 30W was a start and 400 Watt amplifiers were in some homes. Today, as you note, 100W modules and their power supplies are stupidly cheap from Asia. Which is also where the 3000W/$999 rock-shop amps come from.
Old 25th October 2017, 08:26 AM   #14
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
As Scott said, volume control "% rotation" isn't really a measure of anything at all. Different tapers and different amounts of gain quickly make it meaningless other than "more clockwise is louder".

One thing I hear that I always have to restrain myself from jumping in about is when someone says "It's really loud and the volume control is only X% of the way!". It's pretty dang trivial to arrange gains and signal level so you run out off power in the first 1% of rotation if you wanted to!
Then there was the guy who sold potmeter knobs that went to 11! Really really loud!

Jan
Old 25th October 2017, 08:28 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i understand that is the power that isn't directly proporcional not the relationship between tension and current.
Thanks all.
Not wanting to split hairs, but it IS directly proportional. It just isn't linear.

Jan
Old 25th October 2017, 10:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Power = (V^2)/R, so the graph of the power in relationship to voltage isn't a straight line, that's what i mean...

I mean a stereo powerfull amplifier ( with a normal structure design, like most stereo amplifiers ) that can be build to work with your home electrical capabilities...
like two of these boards:

Hifi 1500W Powerful Assembled Mono Amp Board with 28 Tubes 14xTTC5200 14xTTA1943 | eBay
Old 25th October 2017, 11:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

What's the problem there, 1500W? Your vacuum cleaner probably uses more.
And I love it when they advertise tube amps that turn out to be solid state. And he sells it without the most expensive parts, the output devices.

You really need to read carefully there

Jan
Old 25th October 2017, 12:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to feed two of these boards with one psu ? It exists psu's with that capabilities for sell ? In my country the electrical home net is 230vac 50hz and i have 15 A or 20 A ( i'm not shure now ... )
Old 25th October 2017, 12:31 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

...But there is a seller on ebay that sells this board already assembled ( with all parts ). Everything except the power supply and the heatsink...
Old 25th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it possible to feed two of these boards with one psu ? It exists psu's with that capabilities for sell ? In my country the electrical home net is 230vac 50hz and i have 15 A or 20 A ( i'm not shure now ... )
Google is your friend. First determine how much power supply voltage and current you need for the amplifier power you want.

Jan

Releationship between tension and current in audio signalsHide this!Advertise here!