Quieting down PC - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2004, 11:56 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

at 5V the fan might not even start up...maybe u could oil all of ur fan's bearings...or get those with a damped bearing...
Old 25th September 2004, 07:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Thats it I cant take it anymore...i'm gonna build/do something to shut the PC up. I thought about the easiest would be to get extension cords and put the computer in the fireplace or the basement. I also thought about building a case....with some sort of a slotted setup

Any thoughts on a remote computer setup in another room?
Old 28th September 2004, 07:05 AM   #13
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eRiCdWoNg
Thats it I cant take it anymore...i'm gonna build/do something to shut the PC up. I thought about the easiest would be to get extension cords and put the computer in the fireplace or the basement. I also thought about building a case....with some sort of a slotted setup

Any thoughts on a remote computer setup in another room?

No need.. really. First find out where the noise is coming from. Open the case and try stopping some of the fans with your finger to see what change there is. You'll probably find that you have a 5000rpm screamer on your chipset, or on your video card, that is causing most of the noise.

Remeber, all of the noise must come from either fans or the hard drive. By using low rpm fans and quiet hard drives you can make any system whipser quiet, even in a crappy case.

An easy trick for noisy fans it to run them at a lower voltage. This can be done by grounding them to the +5v line (the red wire on a 4-pin prong), so they run at 7v. Good for those 5000rpm screamers which really don't need to spin so fast (unless you have a high end video card).

Another really easy and cheap trick is to cut out the grill on the back of your PSU. This will make it noticably more quiet, and increase airflow. You can then safely undervolt the PSU fan to make it even quieter.

Dan
Old 3rd October 2004, 04:44 AM   #14
lolojr1 is offline lolojr1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to lolojr1 Send a message via Yahoo to lolojr1
Default QUIET PC

try water cooling do a gogle search for water cooled pc
Old 5th October 2004, 08:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I musta hit something wrong cause I opened up my PC's power supply to disable the fan, plugged it back in and saw a big flash and puff of smoke. Hopefully I didnt ruin anything else. Looks like a need a new power supply.

I found this vendor, seems like they got some good stuff and isnt ridiculously expensive. http://www.endpcnoise.com/
Old 5th October 2004, 08:32 PM   #16
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

check www.performance-pcs.com

This is good source for things like fanless power supplies such as CoolMax, fanless CPU heatsinks, low noise fans.

If you don't have to have the fastes CPU arounf, you can probably build a completely fanless PC. If must still have a fan, such as a case fan you will want to look for the largest diameter 120mm truning relatively slowly - choice of grill and use sound absorbant materials can help as well. Also be aware that high performance video cards often need a small fan, but if you are not into games these can be avoided. Some HDD's list a noise spec so be sure to read these.
Old 5th October 2004, 08:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

big flash and puff of smoke. heh i bet theres more fried than just the power supply now.
Old 5th October 2004, 10:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

dun...dun take out the fan in a psu...the heatsinks on the MOSFETs are too small to handle the heat...
Old 7th October 2004, 01:44 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well I ordered replacements for the 2 noisiest parts- the PSU and the case fan. I am using both Nexus components, the fan and the PSU. Hopefully it will restore my computer (assuming I didnt fry anything else) and will be much quieter then before. I'll report once I get the parts installed.
Old 14th October 2004, 06:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well I got the stuff in last night. I also reinstalled one of the 2 hard drives this time instead of using zipties, securely mounted in drive bays.

Computer is quieter. It still isnt "dead silent" as I had hoped but I'm sure that is due to the whirring hard drives. Its much more bearable now. I still may build a case.

I dropped $80 into this project. I should have just spent the extra $500 or so and bought a new pc

Hide this!Advertise here!