Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Charger that worked better than buying new car battery.
Charger that worked better than buying new car battery.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Car works fine--was reporting a success.
Cheerio!
Voltage < 12 volts is a success? Good luck with that!
You made something that you think works and that is all that matters.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:16 PM   #12
ev13wt is offline ev13wt
diyAudio Member

The op certainly has style though.
Old 28th October 2017, 09:30 PM   #13
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had good success reviving old batteries with a 30 volt power supply, current limited to about 200mA. After the battery starts drawing a decent amount of current for a couple hours, disconnect and hook it up to a normal 6 amp charger and charge as normal. Repeated cycles will eventually wear the battery out, but you still get some use out of it.
Old 1st November 2017, 02:46 AM   #14
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

Default Revivng batteries

There is a man in Hawaii who has posted a desulfator circuit on the net.
Uses a 555 timer, IRF640 mosfet, a few other parts.
Principle seems same, pulsed charging.
He is off the grid, so he is more dependent on batteries.
My charger has a half wave rectifier = pulsed charging!
On old cars sitting unused for long time, it is a good idea to disconnect one terminal of the battery, to remove current paths that could drain the battery.
Also a good idea to do that before charging, could fry electronics on newer cars.
Old 1st November 2017, 06:20 AM   #15
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

One could also consider a trickle charger. Get a new battery if the old one is dead. If you're only getting 11-12 V out of it, it sounds pretty dead to me. Then use the trickle charger to keep it alive.

I think the comment regarding your contraption being a fire hazard was concerning the battery. You're dumping a significant amount of energy into the battery. You don't want to overheat the battery.

Tom
Old 1st November 2017, 11:52 AM   #16
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NareshBrd View Post
On old cars sitting unused for long time, it is a good idea to disconnect one terminal of the battery, to remove current paths that could drain the battery.
Also a good idea to do that before charging, could fry electronics on newer cars.
There's all kinds of goofy crap you can do with batteries. Aspirin in the electrolyte, etc... Nobody has a proven desulfator circuit that always works as there are different types of sulfation - it is a bit of a myth. Pulsed charging at 60hz isa bit of a misnomer... Disconnecting the battery is good because of parasitic loads. The worry about car electronics is kinda silly for most types of charging.

The best way to maintain a battery depends on actual chemistry. Generally starting batteries don't like to be really cold (think MN) or warm and they don't like deep discharge. They also like to be on float because they sulfate when run or stored partially discharged.

High current charging makes a lot of hydrogen (BOOM) and dries cells out - then you get weak cells and voltages <12V
Old 7th November 2017, 07:10 AM   #17
danielwritesbac is offline danielwritesbac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
One could also consider a trickle charger. Get a new battery if the old one is dead. If you're only getting 11-12 V out of it, it sounds pretty dead to me. Then use the trickle charger to keep it alive.

I think the comment regarding your contraption being a fire hazard was concerning the battery. You're dumping a significant amount of energy into the battery. You don't want to overheat the battery.

Tom
Problem with off the shelf trickle charger is a new and harmed battery that is dead and the car doesn't go anywhere, so it hasn't been useful to buy a trickle charger from a store. That's actually much worse.

My crude charger was made for the troubles of a rarely driven car. The heat from the charging effort goes almost entirely into the light bulb (run under-specs). This plan certainly doesn't work better than buying a new battery twice a year, except for costs and planning matters. Even when new, the car was not often useful because the battery was dead, usually. Perhaps that's why the car still works--an under-exploited method for automotive longevity?

Even so, I probably will make use of your advice, with a slightly different re-interpretation involving same well working homemade trickle charger that doesn't harm batteries, along with a new battery.

It has turned out that the old battery is still an old battery. Although this has been charged well enough to fetch groceries in town, our USA holidays are coming soon, and Mom's house is a long distance away. Yes, a new battery seems a good idea for long-distance touring.

The old battery did get up to 12.7vdc at idle, eventually; however, in 1993, Cadillac accidentally made a hybrid, in that it uses more electric than gasoline. So, that particular, peculiar bit of automotive history requires a charger that doesn't harm batteries. Surprise! There's none in stores. But, it is nice to have one in the garage.

P.S.
The application is typical of boats, not cars.
Maybe that's only because we don't dispose of boats as frequently?

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 7th November 2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 7th November 2017, 08:08 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

New problem!
Although the 3-2-1 cycle twice a day has the old battery imitating new battery specs, now it is much more difficult to predict an appropriate time to replace the working battery.
And,
Someday in the future, perhaps unannounced, it would be more convenient if the car did not start. No doubt it will get to the destination eagerly enough, but after I turn it off, someday it will not re-start to go back home. I had not thought this matter through beyond getting the car to start.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 7th November 2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 8th November 2017, 06:32 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Principle seems same, pulsed charging. He is off the grid, so he is more dependent on batteries.
I found that 555+FET desulfator kit on ebay too. 12 volts lead acid battery desulfator kit assembled | eBay
They said to use it along with a low current charger. And, it may work in 3 or 4 weeks, probably slow going because there's not enough variety in the pulse widths and cycles.

There's also a desulfator forum: Desulfator - 555 based and all pulse output stages - Lead Acid Battery Desulfation
It is interesting to find out about these signal circuits. Thanks! I'd definitely install the battery disconnect accessory before using any charger with a signal output.

My own contraption outputs clean DC, so that seems different.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:24 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks! I wasn't aware that desulfator circult boards existed.

Found that on ebay with "desulfator assembled kit" for $8. Also there's a TapaTalk forum for desulfator.

Those are signal devices, not related to my charger that outputs clean DC.

On this topic, I've a curiosity to report. The DC charger wouldn't make any progress in charging a battery that had been abused by a storebought trickle charger, until I added that lamp timer for on/off cycles. Monotonous cycles with the lamp timer made insufficnet headway (as in slow). What really got it motivated and making fast progress is setting the lamp timer to make series of different cycles.

Sure wouldn't have guessed that I'd made the weridest one. That wasn't the goal--I just wanted clean dc that stays within normal range of car voltages because of too lazy to disconnect the battery. lolz!!! Also, couldn't guess why it works other than it was supposed to. Still works fine.

Charger that worked better than buying new car battery.Hide this!Advertise here!