Did people used to diy or modify CRTs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my opinion, the latter would be have the better chance of being done by some people. For me, it's one of their ways to explore an antique and tinker it, expecting something would come out of their efforts. CRT's can also be stylish if one were to have it as a decor, especially the earlier versions of it.

In the case of DIY, maybe for the sake of fun, they would do that. The efficiency of modern tv's today outweigh the fun that CRT can give, unless the individual is an enthusiast or persons who want something to do during their spare time.

I don't think I've ever modded inside a monitor or TV before, but done a lot of the cheapo old time computer mods like converting a ZX81 to connect to an NTSC monitor, running an EGA card with TTL monitor, Amiga to SVGA monitor, Centris to SVGA monitor.

I used the old NTSC monitor from my Atari for years as my main TV using a VCR as tuner. Years ago when GlobalTV entered Quebec by buying an old rural TV transmitter, which allowed them to get a cable channel which is what they really wanted, I used one of those +10dB brick video amplifiers to watch the channel over the air, and get a game or 2 more of NFL a week without paying for cable.

Anybody ever do the mod of removing the anti-glare film from a rear-projection TV to get a brighter picture? I was planning to do it on my only rear-projection, but it blew the convergence board, and the TV repair guy never got it 100%.

Last edited:
I added a baseband video input to a Baycrest (Canadian dept store house brand)12" b&w portable to use it as a monitor for my Apple ][+ clone. IIRC a computer magazine had reviewed a mod kit for that exact chassis model, with a picture showing what trace to cut, so I just had to build an input buffer amp using an LM318.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, the LM318 was stinking fast. Unheard of slew rate when it was introduced, and using feed-forward compensation you could squeeze 70 V/usec out of it. I guess you needed the speed to amplify the video signal using a normal op amp.

-Chris

I wonder how well they worked?

They "worked" that's about it. Oscilloscope CRT's use electrostatic deflection, beam bending plates inside the tube to steer the electron beam. The frequency response went into the 100 MHz region.

All TV's since the 1930's used electromagnetic deflection, 4 coils of wire on a special ferrite core mounted outside the tube that bent the beam by varying the strength of electromagnets on the neck of the tube. The frequency response of the coils known as the deflection yoke was far more limited. These coils were designed for specific frequencies too. Vertical was 60 Hz in the US, and horizontal was 15,750 Hz.

The yoke limited the bandwidth of a TV scope to somewhere in the 10 to 20 KHz range. Linearity wasn't so great at frequency extremes either.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
They used to offer kits that would allow you to turn a TV into a rudimentary O-scope. I wonder how well they worked?

The idea is still around. IIRC, you turn the yoke 90 degrees, leave the ~~60Hz sweep running, force audio into the "17KC" coils, and get an entertaining display. Some band puts several of these on stage.

There's also a trick to ADC the audio and blip it into the Intensity grid at the right scan line. (Scan lineS because one line blip is not very bright.)

As I can now get PC 'scope software cheap/free, and large PC/TV displays not too expensive (I hear you can also watch football on them?), the appeal of a clapped-out CRT for 'scope fun no longer appeals.

I remember an electronics magazine project that was to add a separate yoke, and bring the horiz and vert connections to the exterior of the TV. The original yoke remained inside the TV, all connections untouched, mounted in a safe location off the CRT. The examples were to use music inputs or signal generator inputs to make patterns on the screen. IIRC that article and my grade 13 enriched physics class were the only time I have heard reference to Lissajous figures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.