Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Spectrum of Musical Genres
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2017, 09:20 AM   #11
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, maybe. The main idea behind my tests was to find the shape of the music curve. For rock and Jazz it looks pretty similar. Bass rolls off under 60 Hz at 24dB/octave. The top end rolls off above about 80Hz at 4.5 dB/octave.

Pink noise with its 3dB/octave roll off is typically used for loudspeaker testing, for technical reasons. Brownian noise, which rolls off at 6dB/octave is often said to be more like the music spectrum than pink noise. I've always found it to be in between the two, as my average plots show.

Over in the Beyond the Ariel thread there was some testing of compression in bass drivers using pink noise. But that got me to thinking that sine sweeps and pink noise always sound far too bass heavy during tests. They don't sound like the tonal balance of music. Of course sine wave sweeps also contain far more top end energy than pink noise or music, I've popped a few tweeters that way.

Maybe it would be better to do some of our testing with a signal that more closely mimics the musical spectrum than current test signals. It should not be our only test signal, but it could be handy. I've been able to filter white noise and sine sweeps to very closely follow the Rock/Jazz spectrum - and hope to try using them in tests. I can post those signals here, if there is interest. It's funny to listen to the filtered sine sweep, it's far from linear, but does not sound as odd as I thought it would.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:49 AM   #12
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very interesting. Now member Cask05 considers the deviation from pink noise to be a mastering artifact and re-eqs his recordings. There is certainly a good argument for the LF rolloff as most small speakers just wouldn't handle the bass. For HF I'm not so sure, but I haven't scanned the literature for the frequency balance of orchestral music at either the recording or listening positions.

Anyway Pano, for doing this.
Old 9th August 2017, 11:12 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Interesting that classical all seems to be accurately set to the same standard pitch, so the spectrum pattern has the same peaks and troughs all the way up, while other genres don't seem to worry about such things. Opera is similar to classical, yet with less deep bass.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the spiky graph for classical and opera is an unexpected result. I don't know if it has to do with tuning, dynamics, or something else.

And to answer Hearinspace's question, I don't know why there is such a difference between my classical plot and Marc's. Is it the recordings chosen, the method of averaging? I just don't know. Maybe I need to try a different 100 tracks to see how repeatable the results are.
Old 9th August 2017, 04:41 PM   #15
msibilia is offline msibilia  United States
diyAudio Member

I am guessing that the difference in the classical recordings is about the particular pieces selected. Also, these are accumulated averages. If I were to do this again, I would take both average and peak measurements, because peak is what sets how much amplifier is needed. I know that some of the classical had powerful content below 40 Hz; it just was intermittent. Other genres have more continuous bass lines or percussion and push the average up.

An interesting variation would be finding the peak of the average power with time constants varying with frequency: long for heavy woofer voice coils, and much shorter for tweeter voice coils. This could give useful information along with the absolute peak that would indicate peak amplifier needed vs. the RMS power handling of different drivers.
Old 9th August 2017, 04:45 PM   #16
milkshake is offline milkshake
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
Does this tell us (Very very very broadly) about Audio hardware requirement ? Like 2way speakers driven by moderate power amplifier will satisfy 90% need of audio specifications required ?
This tells us what frequency range is needed for music reproduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
Can average dynamic range of all music genres be calculated from graphs ?
Thanks again.
Regards.
Not from these graphs.
Old 9th August 2017, 04:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msibilia View Post
An interesting variation would be finding the peak of the average power with time constants varying with frequency
Yes, yes it would. In a related method I think I have figured out how to see peak levels over a large selection of music. As you say, that would be useful for knowing how much headroom you need. I'll give that a try.
Old 9th August 2017, 05:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkshake View Post
Not from these graphs.
Correct. Since my tracks were all nornalized and mixed together, dynamic information is lost.

However, as I've posted over the years, a typical early CD mastering level was for the RMS value of the music to be 18 dB below peak. That makes for a fairly dynamic recording. Most classical is even more dynamic with 22 to 26dB of headroom. Another typical level is 16dB below peak which is used on a lot of recent jazz and vocal recordings. I've seen Metallica recordings with an average of 10dB below peak, and I suppose that new recordings are even worse.

But that's another topic, and has been covered in abundance in other threads.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

To answer the question about peak values vs average values, here is another look. These are the same rock tracks, but this time the yellow indicates peak values. These peaks are not weighted as to how often the occur, just that they did occur.
Any way, the peaks seem a little flatter thru the bass than the average values, but they two are not so far apart.
Attached Images
File Type: png rock peaks.png (50.5 KB, 161 views)
Old 10th August 2017, 06:41 AM   #20
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks Milkshake and Pano.
Where is yellow graph ? Broadly we can say all genres of music converge at 60hz to 4000 hz. Right ?
Regards

Spectrum of Musical GenresHide this!Advertise here!