Copper, silver, wire myths?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Everyone knows about the high priced audio wires out there catering to the folks who claim to be able to hear the difference.

I'm trying to research some factual data that might explain the physics of why one wire might sound different than another.

Like, what is 99% Oxygen-free Copper? And why would that, or Silver, sound any different than "regular" Copper?

Trying to keep an open mind...

maylar said:
Everyone knows about the high priced audio wires out there catering to the folks who claim to be able to hear the difference.

I'm trying to research some factual data that might explain the physics of why one wire might sound different than another.

Like, what is 99% Oxygen-free Copper? And why would that, or Silver, sound any different than "regular" Copper?

Take a look at the Adire web site for a great comparison of all metals(in voice coils). It is relative to wire too. The reason for O2 free wire is to prevent oxidization of the metal. Oxidized metal won't carry as much current as pure metal.

Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

markp said:
The reason for O2 free wire is to prevent oxidization of the metal. Oxidized metal won't carry as much current as pure metal.

The reason for oxygen free copper is to prevent it from embrittlement when heated in a reducing atmosphere such as hydrogen.

Oxygenated copper such as your basic ETP copper is intentionally oxygenated under precisly controlled conditions. What the oxygen does is scavenge inpurities in the wire, removing them from solution. This actually results in higher conductivity.

In order for oxygen free copper to have the same conductivity as oxygenated copper, it needs to have a higher purity.

se

GRollins said:
If I may be so bold as to make a prediction:
You won't find any answers that you will be happy with.
There aren't any "objective" reasons that everyone agrees upon as to why things sound different--they just do.

Grey

Bummer.

I'm an Engineer by trade and an objectivist by nature. I believe that (with electronics) if it can't be measured, it doesn't exist.

With complex signal processors like amplifiers, I'm willing to accept, "It sounds different and I don't know why". Eventually maybe some scientist will explain some as yet unknown "distortion" mechanism that will explain why.

But for something as (seemingly) simple as wire... I'd have thought that someone would have already put an objective reason behind the subjective evidence that there's a difference between them.

In 99.999% of the cases, marketing and sociology. Before the strawman zombies come marching out of their graves screaming for my brains, that is a VERY different thing than saying, "substituting wires in a system never changes the sound." That's just as wrong. But sonic changes verified by controlled listening tests are always due to very well known factors, like R, L, and C affecting frequency response and/or amplifier stability.

an objectivist by nature.

Ayn Rand was a blowhard. And a really sludgy writer.

Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

Steve Eddy said:

The reason for oxygen free copper is to prevent it from embrittlement when heated in a reducing atmosphere such as hydrogen.

Oxygenated copper such as your basic ETP copper is intentionally oxygenated under precisly controlled conditions. What the oxygen does is scavenge inpurities in the wire, removing them from solution. This actually results in higher conductivity.

In order for oxygen free copper to have the same conductivity as oxygenated copper, it needs to have a higher purity.

se
One step further, the oxygen is then driven from the metal to take the impurities with it resulting in O2 free wire. The oxygen does not stay in the wire or the impurities would be trapped with it in the wire making it worse off than without.

maylar said:

Silver has the highest conductivity of any metal but is prone to oxidization. Gold is like 66% as conductive as silver but does not oxidize so it is used on 'high end' connectors to insure at least 66% conductivity. Silver starts at nearly 99% but gets worse as it tarnishes to the point of much less than 66% conductivity. Copper is very close to silver but it too oxidizes. A rhodium plating on silver prevents the silver from oxidization yet it maintains its high conductivity.

Don't forget about copper-oxides making "micro-diodes...."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=254957#post254957

:roll:

(was that debacle ever settled in one of the many subsequent threads? Has anyone attempted to contact Eric via phone - his disappearance was abrupt to say the least.)

I completely agree with SY: The cables have far more affect on the active components they connect than of the signal going through the cable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

markp said:
One step further, the oxygen is then driven from the metal to take the impurities with it resulting in O2 free wire. The oxygen does not stay in the wire or the impurities would be trapped with it in the wire making it worse off than without.

No, the oxygen does stay in the wire in the form of various oxides of the impurities. They can be seen in micrographs as small dark inclusions (because the oxides are insoluble).

ETP copper is usually oxygenated at about 0.04%.

se

I've got something *you* haven't. Nyah! Nyah!

I think it comes down to some people feeling "superior" if they have something someone else hasn't got. :rolleyes: As soon as all and sundry started using CD's these people then switched back to vinyl and procaimed it's virtues. As soon as the hard disk is replaced by some solid-state thing, you can guess who will sing the praises of HDD's. If everyone started using inch-thick teflon coated silver speaker cables, you can bet your boots this crowd will "discover" 1940's vintage rubber covered wire ripped out of old houses. Of course, wires from some houses will be better than others because of having been conditioned by decades of AC with lower harmonic distortion than other areas. :dead:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

Steve Eddy said:

No, the oxygen does stay in the wire in the form of various oxides of the impurities. They can be seen in micrographs as small dark inclusions (because the oxides are insoluble).

ETP copper is usually oxygenated at about 0.04%.

se
Gee, that would make it 99.96% pure copper. Thats called oxygen free in most books....

:rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
maylar said:

since you asked for "open mind", my understanding is that those oxygen atoms do nothing but gross atrocity to those electrons (only left spin ones not the right spin ones, mind you) rushing down the wire. As such, you will end up with a lot more right spin electrons on the other end of the wire.

rumors have it that certain elite members with golden ears can hear the imbalance between left spin and right spin electrons (like odd vs. even harmonics). As such, having oxygen in your copper wires is a bad bad bad thing.

Of course, those same members claimed to hear cable directionality but when put to a test, we haven't been able to hear from them ever since.

:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Of course, those same members claimed to hear cable directionality but when put to a test, we haven't been able to hear from them ever since.

Not true.
I did report that with the sample sent, a piece of Vampire wire of 1 m length, by SE I couldn't detect any directionality.
Which, BTW, I consider a good thing as I'm lazy by nature.:D

Cheers,;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

markp said:
Gee, that would make it 99.96% pure copper. Thats called oxygen free in most books....

No, it's not. What's called oxygen free in most books (the primary book being the Copper Development Association's book of specifications) has about two orders of magnitude less oxygen (less than 0.0005%) than oxygenated ETP copper.

The 0.04% oxygen in ETP copper is intentionally added (and not subsequently removed). Can't exactly call it oxygen free if you're intentionally adding oxygen. Sure, 0.04% oxygen isn't a whole lot, and for practical purposes with regard to audio it might as well be oxygen free, but what the metals industry calls oxygen free is something quite different.

se

fdegrove said:
Not true.
I did report that with the sample sent, a piece of Vampire wire of 1 m length, by SE I couldn't detect any directionality.

That you did. It was Eric who was abducted by aliens. :)

Which, BTW, I consider a good thing as I'm lazy by nature.:D

I'll say. I'm STILL waiting for that EMail from you about what the doctor said. :)

se

Copper, silver, wire myths?

There are big differences.

Price: material, Cu or Ag not so much, but for myth you have to pay serios hundreds of $$ each meter.

Ag is very good to work with, it solders easy. But silver plated Cu also, a little less expensive. Cu needs a clean surface to solder, it has oxides on surface after short time and does not take the solder anymore.

Of corse there is a BIG difference in what direction you connect it, because of this in one direction the negative halfwave is supressed, the other direction only has influence on the positive. If you only listen to positve music, such as Vivaldi or Mozart, you should always wire in the direction that only affects negative halfwaves, In case you like more negative Music like industrial or rap, otherway round. Cave: this scheme needs to be inverted in case you have a source with phase inverting output! The easyest way to test is to plug in the mains plug reverse into the wall outlet!

btw: does quicksilver cable sound more liquid?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

Steve Eddy said:

No, it's not. What's called oxygen free in most books (the primary book being the Copper Development Association's book of specifications) has about two orders of magnitude less oxygen (less than 0.0005%) than oxygenated ETP copper.

The 0.04% oxygen in ETP copper is intentionally added (and not subsequently removed). Can't exactly call it oxygen free if you're intentionally adding oxygen. Sure, 0.04% oxygen isn't a whole lot, and for practical purposes with regard to audio it might as well be oxygen free, but what the metals industry calls oxygen free is something quite different.

se

After checking about half a dozen manufacturers websites, the average was 99.95% being called oxygen free copper. Also .01 or .02% was the average for added O2. This might not be the book spec but it is what the industry is using and as such what we get from them.

Considering the audio obsession with gold plate, I remain amazed that no one in the non-automotive audio field is selling gold plated fuses and fuse holders. Think about the abominable abuses being inflicted on your mains power by those cheap, low-down, tin-plated fuses between the medical grade power entry socket and the transformer primaries. OH, the shame of it! :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.