Copper, silver, wire myths?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: I've got something *you* haven't. Nyah! Nyah!

Circlotron said:
I think it comes down to some people feeling "superior" if they have something someone else hasn't got.

I find anti-elitism much more prevalent in audio than the elitism you describe above, particularly on the internet.

One thing is certain: you can't measure peer acceptance with a scope or hear it in the music.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but i hear no difference.

That's possible with a plating that's done as it should be.

When not done correctly, people often complain that they find silverplated copper bright sounding.

On a smaller system, not my reference but it's not bad at all, I use silverplated copper myself.
It sounds very good but not as good as full solid silver as used in the bigger system.

Cheers,;)

I had a friend over with a pair of full silver cables a couple of days ago...he had to leave in dispair, cause he couldnt tell my ofc cables from his monster expensive silver cables.

What could have been the difference between my ofc's and the pure silver??

As for the quality of the silver plated wire i got, I bought it from Habia since the have a reputation of being second to none. The Habia wire have been used for so many things by now, and with great satisfaction....especially its ability to take the heat from a soldering iron makes it easy to use for wireing up an amp or the like with limited space (teflon insulation).

Magura:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

All this talk about materials...it must too be a matter of how the specific material is implemented??

I was about to reply something like that.
It could very well be that the expensive cables suit your friends system well and not yours or vice versa.

I heard alot of this and that about cables, from the most exotic to the more down to earth stuff.
I even was commissioned to design a range which I did but in the end I can only think of a few brandnames that really stand out for a consistently good product range across the board.

Coincidence or not these brands have been around for more than a decade and still going strong so that must account for something.

To me the thoughest ones to make are the ones for very low signal levels such as MC phono and tonearm wires, there you really hear the big differences.

For the rest, I just make my own as I go based on what I believe works. Paying attention to little details such as taking care in stripping away the insulator, soldering and type of solder used can all make a small contribution.

What few people realise,however, is that with a relatively small outlay you can make a great sounding system.
Far too often I see silly money spent where it shouldn't be spent at all.

What can I say? Viva DIY, perhaps?

Oh, yes...I know Habia for ages.
To my mind they make some of the finest wires you can buy in Europe.
Luckily Belgium still uses alot of Congolese copper which so happens to be very pure by nature and sound good too.
The Japanese audio guys like it a lot.

Anyway, feel free to e-mail me if you like to exchange experiences.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.