Copper, silver, wire myths?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if a cable exhibits directionality, does that mean both conductors (assuming there are two) have the same orientation? What if one of the conductors was flipped end for end? Would that make the cable non-directional?

A very good point. I didn't quite get if Frank followed this or not but assume he did. The correct way to build the cable is to mark the wire prior to cutting and then make sure that the cable loop follows the same direction. Only then it is possible to test for directionality and get the maximum performance out of a cable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copper, silver, wire myths?

Steve Eddy said:

I didn't assume. I said it SEEMED that you were assuming. I was just guessing as I didn't see a clear point in your statement:

After checking about half a dozen manufacturers websites, the average was 99.95% being called oxygen free copper.

Was there a point there?

se
Yes, you stated that O2 free was .0005% O2 or less.

Ok, here's the poop on oxygen free copper.

The CDA's (Copper Development Association) specification for electronics grade oxygen free copper, alloy number 10100, designated "OFE," "E" for "Electronic" specifies a minimum copper content of 99.99% and a maximum oxygen content of 0.0005%.

Non-electronics grade oxygen free copper, alloy number 10200, designated simply "OF," specifies a minimum copper content of 99.95% and a maximum oxygen content of 0.001%.

se

There is actually a point to choosing O2 free copper, or even better electrlytically pure copper. Any impurities in the copper coupled with oxygene produces a massive amount of oxide when power is applied. I have seen samples of the bus bars used for wind turbines, as i remember it the sample was 1 year old. It was visible with the naked eye that something had gone all wrong, and with a microscope you could see that the oxide had created small cracks all the way through the bar. Now this was a 12 times 50mm bar!! Just imagine what happens to a wire of 1mm diameter.

All of a sudden silver plated copper wire makes sense....oxidation problem solved!

Magura:)

Im not so sure about the "gain another" part.
I recently have used silver plated copper wire for wireing up a tube amp, for interconnects, for internal wireing in speakers....all with excellent results. The interconnects made of the silver plated multi stranded wire, could not be distinguished from a set of nord ost interconnects.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The interconnects made of the silver plated multi stranded wire, could not be distinguished from a set of nord ost interconnects.

I assume you used much thicker conductors than you'd actually need relative to the current passing through?

BTW, don't think silver won't oxodize. Eventually it will just much more slowly than copper and it remains a superior conductor nonetheless.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Yes, why??

If you care to experiment:

Try thin gauge silver plated copper wire of 1 mm diameter per run just between the amp and the speakers and listen to it.

Replace the same run by a 1 mm copper run of the same length and with the same insulator and listen to it.

You may hear the difference, maybe not.

Cheers,;)

Ive done that allready (bought 500 meters of 1mm2 (19*0.25mm)teflon insulated silver plated wire to make experiments for reasonable money). I couldnt tell the difference between them.

What would you expect the difference being?

Edit:

Thin speaker cables though sounds bad in my system unconditionally....havnt quite figured that one out yet.

Works well from approx. 4mm2 and up

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Would it be worth the effort to make a set of 4mm2 silver plated copper speaker cables to compare to my 4mm2 ofc cables, or would that experiment be waste of time?

You'll never know untill you tried it...Give it some time to run in though.

BTW, since you're running tubes amps, you could try twisting the LS cables too and see how you like that.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.