Is it weird that I use the capacitance tester on my multimeter to check LED's??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it weird that I use the capacitance tester on my multimeter to check LED's??
to confirm they are working??
because either way I put it around it still lights up! A little bit flickery from the multimeter pulsating the output but it works

it can only measure up to 2000uF though!
Thats fine.
For some reason it takes a while for a "reading" to appear on the capacitance tester.
it stays on utterly 0 for a few whole seconds. then jumps up to the capacitance value suddenly.

Oh yeah also another random thing. my package i ordered says its going to get here today via USPS
but its just stuck at arrived at post office in my town.
Can i go to pick it up or will it eventually start moving and get here?
its about 10 AM where im at right now

You can actually buy an LED tester.
This one just appeared in a box of bits I acquired.

Attachments

• DSCF7104.JPG
    DSCF7104.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 103
Cool! I wonder why my multimeters diode setting doesnt work for LED's
Maybe it was never intended to test LED's and only meant for regular diodes/transistors????

its NeoTeck brand multimeter
I have an AstroAI AM33D multimeter as well and it has the same problem. No led test ability

although with my AstroAI I can test LED's with the 200 ohm resistance setting (but I dont use this multimeter as much because its not very accurate. its reading a few mv low I think.)

If you want to test LEDs, you need atleast 1.9 volts at the probes for non white LEDs and more than 3 for white/blue LEDs but the diode will be forward biased at 0.7 volts. The diode tester having less voltage at the probes will not light the LEDs.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.