Amplifier Power Requirements - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2002, 08:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Talking Oh no!

With 105dB speakers and a 12W amp, do you mean I'm only going to get 118dB? Damn, I thought it was gonna go LOUD.

Sorry, did you say something?
Old 16th April 2002, 11:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I accept all comments above.

This sort of started when I tried to advise someone (with good and honest intent) that the real difference between a 60W Aleph5 and a 100W Aleph4 was not going to be very much at all, and the extra heat of the A4 was probably not worth the hastle/cost. (ie. double the heat and hardware for 2.2dB)

There seemed to be a firm misconception out there about how dB related to watts.

I'm not gonna argue for a nanosecond that to play really loud without distortion/clipping you need a lot of watts/headroom ..... just that going from 60 to 100W is not going to achieve this ........ which I would say the original post here clearly displays.

You are either like the masses and listen to music modestly loud at times, when anything above 20-40W is ample, or you like ear splitting perfect sound and you should be in the X1000 territory .....

I am concerned that some among us may interpret the table above as justifying small power increases, when I do not think it does, IMHO.

For the few who are chasing the "sonic boom", your money will be better spent in more efficient speakers .... read horns .... and Nelson may be about to help you here too

cheers, mark

PS: How many dB is 1W of acoustic energy?

Hide this!Advertise here!