Can an LED recover from overcurrent damage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some LED's 8 in parallel that i gave a huge surge of current by accident
they all turned darker and a darker aqua/neon blue compared to their normal white

and they dimmed slightly
it was only for a split second

but they seem to still work afterward when i apply normal current (20mA) to them

will they recover or are they permanently damaged and will never recover? if I baby them with like 2mA of current will they recover or not?

they only seem just barely perceivably less bright than before but its hard to tell..

I have some LED's 8 in parallel that i gave a huge surge of current by accident
they all turned darker and a darker .... it was only for a split second .... if I baby them with like 2mA of current will they recover or not?

Connect them backwards so you suck out all the excess current they are holding, currently they are clogged.

But be careful and draw out *just* the excess or you´ll reverse emission and instead of white light they will put out black light.

I mean jet black light , not the cheesy Disco effect wrongly called "black light" which is actually ultraviolet.

You don´t have good luck with LEDs, not surprising since you ABUSE them:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/308430-led-phosphor-coating-fell-off-led-die.html
LED phosphor coating fell off the LED die!!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/305359-led-running-100ma.html
LED running at 100mA?

etc.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of failures of commercial LED household lamps.
I think this is mostly the result of overheating of the individual LEDs in the group due to terrible heatsinking implementation.
None were recoverable. I replaced the defective LEDs (usually only one of the series group of five) but soon after the lamps failed again.
It appears that the working LEDs had been damaged by the overheating even though in testing they all appeared to work.

Have a look at the tiny wire leading into the "cup" where the LED is.
That must make a tiny point contact. How much current can that point contact tolerate?

I didnt abuse them at all. its just they were poorly manufactured and faulty to begin with.

and any abuse was not on purpose!

and the LED's im talking of are just regular tiny straw hat LED's which I think can take between 20 to 35mA maybe 50mA max for a short time. they are not surface mount or new. just plain through-hole type

The color is not permanently changed.
they are the same color as before it happened..

and ive looked in to the LED's and they seem completely fine.

also i have two LED light bulbs in use in my room. it's a 1500 lumen bulb and an 800 lumen bulb. they light up my room pretty good

Each LED, or LED string requires its own current limiter (resistor).

You can pulse LED's with much higher current -- the old HP (now Avago) HMLP's would take 100mA for a few milli-seconds, but if integrate energy over time you were pretty much in the same place -- they can only sustain so much heat.

If you're replacing LED lighting fixtures, keep the receipts! The "lifetime" guarantees are a farce.

I have had a lot of failures of commercial LED household lamps.

I have a whole series of LED lamps failing all approx. within the same time. It is the A19 type from LG in two different wattages.

Disassembled one of them to find out what happened, funny thing: They have a quite decent build quality, everything is mounted via screws or snap-fit "noses", not much glue around. The LED carrier plate is mounted to the lamp body via two screws and a PCB plug type connector in the middle.

Unfortunately, the connector seems to fit a bit too loose, overheats (discoloured PCB) and loses contact due to oxidation issues. Cleaning and cleanly resoldering the PCB surfaces that go into the plug solved the problem and restored full function...

Regards,
Rundmaus

the ring of straw hat LED's are just connected by one resistor with all of the LED's in parallel

That's how they came when i got them in my lantern they were used in.
so thats how ive been using them

I had another pair of 3 straw hat LED's in parallel (normal small ones like you get in the 1$ solar garden lights)
and I gave them 400mA constant current and they only got warm and didn't discolor.. Thats over 100mA per LED continuously!
Impressive for such small LED's

They were also super blindingly bright

they are white in color.
very impressed they survived such high current without any problems!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.