Any Members with knowledge of astrophotography?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking about adding a camera to my telescope.

I don't want to use a conventional digital photograph camera.
It has a large sensor that requires a field flattener (expensive) to get the whole field in focus and they cost a lot even without a lens (body only) and need an adaptor.

So I'm thinking about one of the small field 1.25" telescope cameras.
Q1.
Does a 6mm diagonal sensor need a field flattener? on an F7.5 952mm focal length Apo?

I have seen a few articles on using webcams adapted to attach to a homemade 1.25" holder.
These seem to be controllable via the USB cable from the capture software on a Laptop.
Q2.
Can any USB webcam be controlled this way?

Webcams come a wide variety of resolutions and formats from 0.3MP to 5MP and can be very cheap. The sensors seem to be around 5mm to 7mm diagonal.
I saw a Raspberry webcam at a fairly cheap price with high resolution and small enough to fit inside a 1.25" holder.
Q3.
can a raspberry webcam be controlled from capture software on a Laptop?

I could risk experimenting even if it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Webcams in general are not very sensitive to light and will only be useful for imaging planets. IF that's all you need, go with a webcam. Some are better than others, one that used to be suited was the Philips Toucam pro - you will probably find a lot of threads on this if you google and maybe there is a modern day equivalent.

A regular digital camera with lens (even a cell phone) can be used to do afocal (google it) photography with varying results. These generally have lower noise and higher pixel count sensors.

The best way is still a very sensitive peltier-cooled (to reduce noise) black and white sensor and a color wheel. These more expensive cams have a shutter that can be held open for a long time.

A good camera requires a good mount, and probably drive correction, autoguiding, etc.... if you want good photos.

Last edited:
Thanks gents.
I already have a strong stiff goto mount, that will be able to track.
I have seen references to the Philips Toucam (sony sensor) but they seem to have disappeared.

I did find skyatnightmagazine but most of what they suggested were either very expensive, or very specific to a particular model of webcam.
I'll go look at the links to find more detailed answers.

I have seen references to the Philips Toucam (sony sensor) but they seem to have disappeared.

Do you want one? Postage only. From the hoarding days, like stocking up on JFET's.

Attachments

• toyou.jpg
    toyou.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
A decade and a half ago, when Mars....

I already said webcams work for planets.

If you want to image galaxies and nebulae, you will find them wanting. You need something low noise that can integrate to do that.

I have seen some amazing images from a black and white sensor with variable integration. (the digital equivalent of a shutter.) The camera could pick out structure in the dumbbell nebula that was amazing to see even on a CRT monitor.

Camera tech is improving rapidly - you can now do deep sky in color for less than you think.
https://www.cloudynights.com/articl...ee-deep-sky-video-cameras-for-under-100-r2938

Last edited:
I already said webcams work for planets.

If you want to image galaxies and nebulae, you will find them wanting. You need something low noise that can integrate to do that.

The Philips webcams can be modded for image integration (mod something who ever heard of that :)). There are nice results around, but the work involved in image 4.11 is daunting by any measure.

http://keithwiley.com/Downloads/WileyK_ChambersS_LongExposureWebcams.pdf

EDIT - some here would love this...

Steve Chambers is a professional biochemist and keen amateur astronomer. The
background in biochemistry has played an important role in the development of
Steves hobby by ensuring he has never quite enough money to buy off the self
equipment. His DIY astronomy projects include a half meter computerized
telescope and an automated sky survey.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.