What is wrong with my TV?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given to me, worked fine for the first 10 hours then this. Any ideas? Samsung 55" LCD I think. About 4 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 124
A repeating pattern over the actual image.
Reminds me of when computer video cards suffer corruption.
So maybe a screen driver (hardware) issue ?

Maybe also (if you haven't already) try googling for the fault ?
I'm often amazed at what shows up.

Whats the warranty on these ? Is that an option worth trying ?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What is wrong with my TV?

Looks like someone does't want you to see everything on TV. :p

No, seriously, that's an adress problem. Could be the driver IC or the memory, could also be a faulty panel. Somewhere there some adress/control bits are missing. At first I would check the connections between board and panel.

BTW, we have a 55cm Samsung CRT TV, it is about 30 years old. Once my wife watered the flowers on its top, you can imagine, TV's inside also received some water, so there was some electric spark, burnt traces on PCB, I have repaired it, and it works even now. This happened about 20-26 years ago.

What can I say more?

built-in obsolescence

That's the problem.
Be a good guy, and buy a new one.

Personally i will never buy another Samsung product in my life , had a 40 inch that did the same thing as Cal's at 14 months from new .
The shop told me it needed a new board and power supply costing twice the initial purchase price , this was over the phone without even inspecting the set ! common problem they said and new parts were the only solution .
As always ' google is your friend ' and a search found hundreds of posts on the same issue alongside the ' cure '.
I 've had phone's , tab's ,dvd player's and blu ray player's all made by Samsung all developing major faults not long after purchase , absolute junk ( apologies to the fanboys ) but i've had better service from Alba electronics !

Really common issue with those Samsungs Cal.
Take the back off and gently push on all the connectors and ribbon cable/s , best not to remove and reseat but just tighten them with a bit of gentle persuasion ( no hammers :) )
Yes, thanks. I am beginning to see a pattern here. I will do what you say.
The shop told me it needed a new board and power supply costing twice the initial purchase price
Interesting as I see the T-Con boards ranging from 30-80 bucks only. Maybe they realized the error of their ways and decided to make them affordable? I haven't heard too much about the PS.

I had one of the early Samsung's in the early 2000's -- purchased at Harvey Electronics in NYC with Warranty -- the power supply blew up -- and they fixed it under warranty -- but it took 6 months. Turns out that they had an MCU which spoke with the power supply so one couldn't just swap in a new switcher.

I've had two other Samsungs of more recent vintage with no problems whatsoever, and a Samsung laptop which works like a champ.

Oh, well, there is a problem. My sister complained that the Samsung LCD in the library isn't big enough to show off all of LeBron James.

Interesting as I see the T-Con boards ranging from 30-80 bucks only. Maybe they realized the error of their ways and decided to make them affordable? I haven't heard too much about the PS.

Was a few years ago now when flatscreens were still relatively new , like most things though prices tumble after awhile , a big part of the bill was labour and of course our uk VAT .
The ' fix ' completely cured it btw without spending a penny :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.