convert voltage drop across resistor + output voltage into current into the output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think i'm thinking more about when people use some sort of mathematical notation or scientific notation that I dont understand.

Several people pointed out that if you know a resistor value, which you do, and measure the voltage across the resistor, which you did, then the current trough the resistor is voltage divided by the resistance. You said you could do division.

So what's 'I don't understand'?

Jan

Several people pointed out that if you know a resistor value, which you do, and measure the voltage across the resistor, which you did, then the current trough the resistor is voltage divided by the resistance. You said you could do division.

So what's 'I don't understand'?

Jan

The idea is to keep the thread running as long as possible. :rolleyes:
Don´t expect "logic" in it.

all I needed was someone to tell me that.
of how to convert the voltage across the resistor and the resistance of the resistor to convert to current.
but no one was giving me a straight answer and i couldn't figure it out on google.

I thought I had to do it based on the voltage across the resistor. and based on the output and input voltages divided added or subtracted in some way
rather than the resistance of the resistor

is there a way to do it without knowing the resistance of the resistor? then being able to figure out current as well?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
is there a way to do it without knowing the resistance of the resistor? then being able to figure out current as well?

If you have another R of which you DO know the resistance, you can put it in series with the unknown resistor. Then measure the voltage across the known resistor, use that to calculate the current I, and that is also the I through the unknown R because they are in series.

The nice thing is, now that you know the I through the unknown R, you can measure the V across the unknown and presto! you can calculate the value of the unknown R!

R = V/I.

Jan

realflow100 said:
all I needed was someone to tell me that.
of how to convert the voltage across the resistor and the resistance of the resistor to convert to current.
but no one was giving me a straight answer and i couldn't figure it out on google.
If you know the voltage across the resistor then you use Ohm's Law.

If you don't know the voltage across the resistor directly then you use Kirchoff's voltage law to calculate it from voltages you do know.

If you don't know enough voltages but have enough other information then you might be able to do it using algebra or formulas derived from algebra.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.