Vacuum tube clock/watch [NOT Nixie]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first 'real' pair of headphones (I'm not counting the Bose noise cancelling I bought for flying) were Grado's entry level SR60. The response was so ragged that I couldn't stop my ears bleeding so I sold them. Now, if these Philips are actually good then maybe I'd dip my toes back into the waters....

As for a tube based headphone amp - you really need very little power. I tried making a SS buffer for a tuner and the volume control hardly gets off the rest-stop!

well, for $28.00 they are pretty damn hard to beat. They feel more like $150... built very well, sturdy, flat response. Set your eq to your personal taste, and they drop Looooooow.

3 pages of comments on the concept of a vacuum tube wristwatch...perhaps next we can all think about building a nuclear aircraft carrier out of oak planks
!

My comments come from the guy that set out to build a digital music synthesizer out RTL IC chips that contained individual NAND gates or flip flops. OK, it was 1971 and that's all I could get for free, but at least I got it to make sound. After nearly 2 years of work I abandoned the project and scrapped all the big stuff like the 40 pound power supply. I could not bring myself to toss those hand wired perf boards that contained about 350 IC chips. These are just the tone generators.

I did build a digital stopwatch (darkroom timer) in the mid 70's with CMOS chips. I think it took maybe 15 DIP chips not counting the MAN 7 LED readouts.

Attachments

• RTL_Synth_A.jpg
    RTL_Synth_A.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 79
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is the best pic I can get as I don't have a screwdriver to open it.
The link is bad. Seems to be missing some info. Try again?

....Grado's entry level SR60. The response was so ragged that I couldn't stop my ears bleeding so I sold them.
Oh my! I bought a pair of those a few years back - such good reviews. Made my ears bleed, too and I sent them back. That's rare for me. Horrible things.

I'm very happy with my Fostex headphones. They sound so natural, so real to me that I couldn't be more pleased. I bought them to modify, but never did, they are just right for me. Headphones seem to be a very personal thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.