NIMH AA battery design and manufacturing possibilities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well if you didn't isolate the electrolyte completely but used plastic or some form of insulating seperator simply between the coiled up cells. it'd work but would be like old generation of NIMH's where they discharged in a few weeks
so it would probably be fine for RC cars and such that get several cycles a week or more.

balancing usually isn't done with RC car packs with NIMH's because they self balance while on charge. as long as they aren't used aggressively and aren't drained till the car would barely crawl.
so as long as you treat them nice balancing wouldn't be too much of an issue. Plus the cells would be well matched to begin with (Hopefully they are anyways)

a lot of phone NIMH/NICD packs with 3 cells are made that was as well. just in series with no balance circuit. and they last for years.

at bare minimum it would work. just be similar to old NIMH technology before low self discharge type were made. when NIMH was new. (it'd still have good capacity though)

Your idea is a concentrical arrangement of individual rechargable cells, isn't it? So, how can you assume identical temperatures of all cell 'rings' while charging/discharging, as only the outermost cell is cooled by the ambient and thermal resistance to the ambient increases reciprocal to the individual cells' diameters?

On rectangular batteries, such as LR6 or car batteries: It is common sense that if a tape is wound around some flat peace, the edges get round also with increasing number of layers. In the end it will result in an oval or elliptical cross-section. So, where's the space economy you're claiming? Indeed, in a LR6 a stack of flat rectangular cells definitively provides the maximum of space economy. The fact that nowadays' most LR6 packs consist of six cylindrical cells instead tells us of the advanced technology the battery makers have available, so leaving some unused space inside the pack won't affect it's Performance too much.

Conclusion: A rather useless idea *imho*...

Best regards!

I have no idea what anyone is even talking about anymore.
but surely there would be ways to get around the coil shape turning oval shaped.
Specifically placed insulator/s wound a certain way at the very center of the coil roll so that it ends up being a perfect cylinder once its finished would probably be effective and won't affect the capacity or size much.

It's not that difficult to get 'that thang' exactly cylindrical, i.e. of a circular cross section, by starting from a round central rod. But getting the cross section rectangular, in order to fulfill your claim of maximum space economy, is a major challenge. Almost impossible, I'd say.

And yes, I indeed didn't notice the OP's date :).

Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.