repair/restauration jukebox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I have done a repair restauration of a tubeamp of a ami jukebox, and it sounds well again, say the same as you hear on this movie from italy.

I have fight hum with a mosfet regulator between supply and output tubes, making it dead quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d2Ym7X6k1k

Was the first time I did, and the mechanical stuff did supprise me, who did make this is a genius,:eek:

I think when learn it I can earn mony with it because there are not much repair people for it here or maybe on more places.

regards

Congratulations on that work.

I used to make a living doing service calls to people's homes, as well as to businesses, doing service to juke boxes (and other coin equipment). I did most repairs in the field, tho8ugh I took amplifier and control units back to the shop for overhaul.

Business got slower and slowwer over the years. I think many people remember juke boxes from their youth, and they would have one in their home or store for nostalgia. 45 rpm records were cheap and common. The same people remembered pinball machines, and they bought those. Add a 1957 Chevy car, and they were all set. And I serviced for friends who were in the jukebox business.

But those customers have aged out, more modern middle aged people remember CDs in juke boxes, and a juke box was a lot less central to their social life than it was to ours in the 1950s, so a lot less of them bought boxes. And they bought 1970s cars.

Now we have people who have always bought music by the song to listen on ear buds. The jukebox in the bar was internet driven, no content in the box. And that is if there even was a jukebox, may bars just have satellite radio. Cars are even less important.

All of which is to say jukeboxes are fading. I could stuff 80 45s into an empty box for about as many dollars. CD jukes took 100 discs, and unless you bought them used, it took a thousand dollars to fill a box. Nowdays a jukebox is just a novelty in a commercial place.

On the other hand, if someone has one, it is hard to find someone to service it. Where I live, people call in repair guys from 100 miles away. For older juke boxes, ther are companies that make replacement parts, like colored plastic panels or what ever.

Thanks for the post, here in holland it is quite common, also younger people, there is a trend to get old stuff even pianola,s Here are multiple companies service them, for me tube amps is not a problem, however the selecting mechanic is, here is is difficulty.

I have the service manuals of my friend jukebox, who is by the way 52 years old.

Old records are also back from old days, also young guys do like them.

I like sustainability, I think in future whe have to respect our stuff more, maybe even as a part of the monysystem like homes are and a lot of repair companies to service them, I have a old 1974 volvo 164 car to repair and welding.

For your country 100 miles is not far, fro the netherlands it is, whe are small.

regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.