DIY stand/rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back in college I had great results using a combination of cinder blocks and concrete paving stones (of the sort you can buy at any discount store in the garden dept.):

cinder block ........................ cinder block
paving stone ........... paving stone
cinder block ......................... cinder block

(the dots represent thin air... the editor takes out the white space in my ASCII art)

Yes, it is the old brick-n-board bookcase idea... just without the planks.

Note the gaps between the sides: the "shelves" didn't go all the way across. I just let my relatively light gear straddle the gap.

My roommates back in college called it my little shrine to music.

Benefits: dirt cheap; pretty dang solid; highly configurable: just restack the blocks :)

Drawbacks: ugly; don't stub your toe on it; got sick of genuflecting to the stereo while changing CDs. Did I mention the quirky aesthetics? (Oh yeah: ugly. ;) )

No DIY plans but here a couple of resources:

www.onlinemetals.com
Sheet, plate round tubing, rectangular tubing, rods in stainless, aluminum, brass, copper etc You can have then cut (rough) to order.

www.micromark.com
Inexpensive source for small taps, dies and drill.

www.boltdepot.com if you need something not found at Home Depot

I recently completed a wall hung CD rack that holds about 600 CDs using aluminum angle stock and 1"x2" retangular aluminum tubing. Very light anf rigid. If I didn.t already have an equipment rack online-metals would be a good source for the raw materials.

Cutting you own threads is very easy in Al and can make assembly easier sometimes than using nuts, plus it may allow for a nicer look in somecases if you don't have nuts showing.

I had good results with threaded rod and MDF. Mine is a little wobbly, mostly because I only used 1/2" threaded rod and have my first shelf a good 15" off the ground (it's uh... straddling my subwoofer). For the price, though, you're not going to find anything as versatile or effective.

Here you are:

I took solid maple 3x4 cm, 65 cm in length. I joined them with a kind of miterlock (correct phrase ??). The support can handle 70kg per layer (which is my weight)

Ralph

Attachments

• rack_a.jpg
    rack_a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 350
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.