Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Bakmeel is offline Bakmeel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Exclamation The Semiconductor Datasheet Database

In a few weeks, I will move over to a new house. Unfortunately, it isn't blessed with a high-capacity network like my campus flat is currently boasting.

Still, to remain occupied in the internet-less year coming, I am setting things up to develop an internet database, filled with semiconductor datasheets. My linux webserver is running (local) and i've started collecting datasheets. The database will be running on MySQL, with a php interface to the world wide web. When online, access will be free to everyone.

I am now pondering consequences, todo-lists, ideas to implement, etc. and I am wondering if anyone has more ideas or suggestions for such a database.

More specifically, I am worried about copyright troubles. Are datasheets public domain? Can I mirror them just like that? how about those databases like ChipDocs.com that do the same, but ask money for their services?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bouke
Old 15th March 2004, 01:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If I were you I would try and ask for permission from the companies who's data sheets you would be hoasting (just in case).

Quite often, if you ask nicely enough, they will send you a CD with all of their product data sheets, and aplication notes free (so you won't even need to down load them all)as well, just to make getting in touch seem more useful.
Old 16th March 2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Another advantage to getting in touch with the manufacturers about mirroring their datasheets, is they may be willing to let you know about updates and/or send them to you as well. I would definately contact them about what you want to do. They will more than likely not be upset about someone offering their datasheets, but may insist on a link back to their website for the latest or for more details.

All in all, I would say it won't hurt to ask, and it'll save you possible headaches in the future.

Hide this!Advertise here!