The Semiconductor Datasheet Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In a few weeks, I will move over to a new house. Unfortunately, it isn't blessed with a high-capacity network like my campus flat is currently boasting.

Still, to remain occupied in the internet-less year coming, I am setting things up to develop an internet database, filled with semiconductor datasheets. My linux webserver is running (local) and i've started collecting datasheets. The database will be running on MySQL, with a php interface to the world wide web. When online, access will be free to everyone.

I am now pondering consequences, todo-lists, ideas to implement, etc. and I am wondering if anyone has more ideas or suggestions for such a database.

More specifically, I am worried about copyright troubles. Are datasheets public domain? Can I mirror them just like that? how about those databases like ChipDocs.com that do the same, but ask money for their services?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bouke

If I were you I would try and ask for permission from the companies who's data sheets you would be hoasting (just in case).

Quite often, if you ask nicely enough, they will send you a CD with all of their product data sheets, and aplication notes free (so you won't even need to down load them all)as well, just to make getting in touch seem more useful.

Another advantage to getting in touch with the manufacturers about mirroring their datasheets, is they may be willing to let you know about updates and/or send them to you as well. I would definately contact them about what you want to do. They will more than likely not be upset about someone offering their datasheets, but may insist on a link back to their website for the latest or for more details.

All in all, I would say it won't hurt to ask, and it'll save you possible headaches in the future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.