SPL and Watts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Assuming you mean "SPL (dB, 1W/1m)", then there's no need: take the SPL figure and add or subtract as many decibels as compared to the 1W test figure. So if you put 10W through an 88dB/1W/1m rated speaker, you'll read 88 + 10*log(10W/1W) = 98dB. (In acoustical energy terms, this is 98 = 10*log(I/10^-12) ~= 6mW per square meter, in case you were wondering.)

Tim

I was thinking along the lines of a table with the watts starting at 1 and doubling, and the appropriate dB.

you need to give a speakers efficiency for this. In case its 100% you make

1W 112dB
2W 115dB
4W 118dB
usw

in case you have a real world speaker with < 100% efficiency you start with the value from the table behind the link.

for example my speakers with about 100dB/1W

1W 100dB
16W 112dB (with ZEN)
32W 115dB (with OPA549 AMP)
128W 121dB (150W ratet input speaker)
256W 124 dB (300W max input power speaker)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Matt:

How is this chart? It is from Richard Small. It has acoustic watts on the left, and the equivalent SPL on the right. It also tells you how much air must be moved in a sealed system to produce what SPL, (or acoustic watts) at which frequency.

There are two charts, one in normal and one in Metric measurements.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5668&highlight=

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.