DIY Binaural Mics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i get it now that i've listened to the the you tube links it's not the first time i've encountered someone who interprets "comb filtering" as "stereo ambience"!
carry on then....

Q. What exactly is comb filtering? |

Please refer back to post #82.
I'm not saying that you don't have a problem with binaural recordings, or mine in particular. I'm just saying that it is not comb filtering. How comb filtering can be related to stereo ambience is unknown to me.
If anything, it creates an imbalance in the equalization, based on where the source is in respect to the microphone (in the recording phase).
Since the piano didn't move during the recording, the only hint at comb filtering can come from the voice moving, modifying the distance to the microphone and modulating its frequency content as a consequence.
The result would be a voice that changes tone according to the singer's position.
Is that what you are hearing? Because I don't, but maybe your ears are more sensitive than mine.

Or, comb filtering could come into play during (speakers) playback. Do you have the same problem with headphones?

I've written down a compendium about the theory underlying binaural recordings.
My goal is to take the reader, no matter where they start from in their knowledge of binaural recordings (even none at all), to a place where they are able to build their own binaural microphone and start making very accurate recordings. A lot of people have a home recording studio nowadays. I just wish more of them would make binaural recordings. I certainly don't expect them to come from major labels, so DIY is the way to go, I think.

In there I explain, among other things, the need to include ear canal replicas when one wants to reproduce, when listening, a sound as close as possible to the real event.

Binaural Theory - Gearslutz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.