Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Well I have finally met my match

Soldering individual wires to a SSOP SMD

This WAS a PCM2902, I thought Id try out one of these to get the digital signal off the computer. Either way I was only gonna breadboard the 11 other components and then hardwire in the chip.

Well the chip won. A 1mm soldering tip and fine fine wire and still not luck, looks like all you can do with these is to use a circuit board. Oh well you cant win them all.

On a good note the breadboarded adon to my active xover for adding low freq EQ for my XLS went as good as can be expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0147.jpg (98.0 KB, 510 views)
Old 11th March 2004, 07:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh pretty!!! Hahaha!
Old 11th March 2004, 08:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't be fooled by the boards that he's got, he's still, he's still Jenny from the block!!!
Old 11th March 2004, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>>Soldering individual wires to a SSOP SMD

This WAS a PCM2902, I thought Id try out one of these to get the digital signal off the computer. Either way I was only gonna breadboard the 11 other components and then hardwire in the chip.<<<

It can be done you need to lift alternative pins thus increase the spacing.

Do you have any more chips.?

I have a few samples i can post on if you want another go,drop me a message.

Pete
Old 11th March 2004, 10:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK lol ignor the posts from paraleeloogram thats my mate from over here

Ok well at the mo I dont have anymore chips I really got a sample to see how small they actually were. Then I thought I'll give it a go just trying to get one to work. If you dont mind sending me a chip id be greatful for another try. I could just get another sample from TI though, but I dont like asking for more then a few.

Send me an email then and we'll talk then.

Cheers Matt
Old 11th March 2004, 10:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Flemming J P
I also needed two attemps to get the pcm2707 working.

The way I got it working was twisting everyother pin up and everyother pin straight out from the chip.

Double pin spacing

Just be careful not to break any pins
Old 12th March 2004, 07:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes thats the idea I came to when attempting to solder, thing is that idea came to me after I had soldered a few pins together by mistake. I had to use a scalpal to get them appart, this put unecessary strain ona couple of the pins and one broke off. If you bend the pins up I think they will survive but only if they are left in that position.
Old 15th September 2004, 03:39 AM   #8
Dwiel is offline Dwiel  United States
diyAudio Member

After the pins have been pulled up, how do you mount the chip? It seems like it would be hard to keep the chip from wiggling inside the finished product and breaking. Some kind of casing to keep everything stable would be cool, but Im not really sure how to go about it.
Old 15th September 2004, 05:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Get two identical chips and on the first one solder to pins 1.3.5. etc. On the second solder to pins 2,4,6, etc. This gives you some room if you don't have the tools to work with sneezed-on components!

Of course I'm just kidding.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 15th September 2004, 11:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

On the subject of soldering insanely small chips,
When I think a soldering job is becoming a bit tricky, to regain my perspective I regularly return to this thread:

Possibly the smallest surface mount chip?

Setmenu

Hide this!Advertise here!