Where is Grey Rollins?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old geezer?
<i>Old</i> geezer?
Harrumph!
In the vein of Twain--reports of my demise are exaggerated...much to Grataku's disappointment, I suppose, given the tone of his post. Ah well, such is life.
A progress report:
Tube X preamp--half done, which is to say, I have a version using 6SN7s, but I intend also to provide an alternate version using 6922s. As a teaser: I'm throwing in a 'trick,' something that would never occur to solid state folks.
Aleph-X--(note that I'm specifically <i>not</i> calling it an XA, as I don't want anyone to confuse it with Nelson's circuit) is in progress. Yes, there's a DC offset tendency. For all that I sent Nelson a schematic in December, I only began working on the circuit last Thursday (3/28) and so far have managed to steal only about eight or ten hours for R&D purposes. I'm sure Nelson solved the problem in ten minutes, but I haven't got his resources or experience. I'm hampered by a lack of parts and, being a wee bit impecunious, am having to be very, very resourceful indeed in order to scrape together enough parts to build the silly thing. At the moment, the erstwhile Mini-A has been pressed into service as a Mini-XA (so to speak), but I'm still having to sniff in corners and dust things off in order to unearth sufficient quantities of little brightly colored pieces to try various ideas I've had. To paraphrase Valentine Michael Smith,"I've learned several ways to build an Aleph-X, but most of them are only good for use as comparators..." I still have a few ideas left in my grab-bag, but have to do more parts-scrounging in order to try them. (I confess, this is getting <i>tres</i> wearisome.)
Not to mention the other sundry nuisances that life throws at you, such as doing taxes, and some of the lingering effects of the virus that infected my PC a few months ago, etc. I've got three stories in the pipeline, one story up in NY, and three more in various stages of completion. The onions, garlic, carrots, lettuce, radishes, and (most of) the tomatoes are in the ground. A risky move, that last one, as it was in the 30's here last night and 'maters don't like cold weather. Given that I don't even eat most of that stuff (but the wifeling and sprouts do) it's not directly worthwhile to me. Indirectly...yeah, it's worth it. Besides, it's good exercise. (Man, is it good exercise--I hurt in places I didn't even know I had places to hurt.)
Incidentally, the folks at work don't care what I do, as long as I get my work done. I'm sure this will come as a great relief to Grataku. However, I've been getting other stuff attended to, and haven't had as much time to spend with DIY guys (and gals).
Which reminds me...I owe Vince an answer in the Mini-A thread...

Grey

Old?

You aren't alone.........they are calling me Hoary, which I believe is defined as "So old as to inspire veneration". Planting sounds like a good idea. I need to get Jocko over here to help and work off some of his aggression. You should see that maniac dig up a stump. It is like watching Sigoury Weaver fight Aliens. I swear I will take pictures next time. He as also torn out most of my shrubs.

H.H.

P.S. How about picking up some of the load before they ban Jocko and I from the forum!

H.H.

I too was wondering what happened to you...

I remembered seeing this post from Nelson about a week ago in the XA Amplifier thread and you never responded...so I wondered if you had ever seen it...

"That day will come when Grey publishes his version
of the circuit.

How's it going, Grey?"

Then there was his comment in the Mini-A thread...

"I encourage you to try; it raises the bar for me" :)

Since you just posted that "I still have a few ideas left in my grab-bag, but have to do more parts-scrounging in order to try them. (I confess, this is getting tres wearisome.) I thought you might need a little encouragement...

Oh course, I wouldn't want to stir the pot or anything - heh heh heh... :)

Have a great weekend,

Steve

GRollins said:
I'm hampered by a lack of parts and, being a wee bit impecunious, am having to be very, very resourceful indeed in order to scrape together enough parts to build the silly thing.
Besides sending most of us scurrying for a dictionary, this statement should be a call to action. Some of us probably have pretty decent inventories of stuff kicking around and would probably be more than glad to supply a few baubles and beads to see the Aleph-X up and running.
Grey, if you're needing parts, just post what you want and I bet you'll get lots of responses. Maybe start an Aleph-X thread, that'll get our attention.
Not sure about what happens when baubles as gifts cross the Canada-US border, but maybe I'll try it with a resistor or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.