Hardwiring your whole system....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ric Schultz of TWEAK AUDIO came up with a idea of using the existing binding posts on amplifiers in a novel way. He would remove the internal wires from the binding posts, drill a hole for the wires coming from the output devices to come through, long enough to be used and clamped within the binding posts with the speaker wires.

That idea has been around a lot longer than Ric Shultz has. It is a good idea if you don’t change speakers often.

dave

So the thread was intended to be about getting rid of connectors but in the science swamp of DIYAudio we get to hear the scientists telling us that connectors are better than soldered connection. One man's "snake oil" is another man's "science" ...

I did not know that a tenet of science is convenience of use but this is the modern world. If it is not convenient to get a result the result is invalid. What a boon to productivity in the lab.

AirBetweenTheNotes you should change your name to ConnectorBetweenTheNotes. Get with the times!

yes, to be fair, since this thread is about getting rid of connectors wherever possible, it'd be rude to disclaim that as an valid approach to audio nirvana due to matters of day to day practicality / convenience

but if there was no air between them, how exactly would the notes be propagated to our ears?

welcome to the swamp, all y'all

Well another connector enthusiast!

No mention of the connectors used.

Must be those unobtanium connectors that have negative ESR?

Sure wish I had access to them. Best of both worlds! YIPPEE!

So the thread was intended to be about getting rid of connectors but in the science swamp of DIYAudio we get to hear the scientists telling us that connectors are better than soldered connection. One man's "snake oil" is another man's "science" ...

I did not know that a tenet of science is convenience of use but this is the modern world. If it is not convenient to get a result the result is invalid. What a boon to productivity in the lab.

AirBetweenTheNotes you should change your name to ConnectorBetweenTheNotes. Get with the times!

You would think this was a groundbreaking concept. People have been doing this since hifi became popular many decades ago. Most folk can't hear any difference as long as the connection is electrically good. Good connectors do NOT have to cost a fortune, see my link.

Hardwiring the system is always interesting to me whenever
I have no desire to spend money on connectors. Otherwise
I don't consider it to be of a problem as long as I have the
means of cleaning the contact surfaces. I have found this
sort of a helper, works absolutely wonderful.

Attachments

• fibreglass  pen.jpg
    fibreglass pen.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 99
No one claimed any of this stuff is new. Most of what is discussed on this whole forum is anything but new. We review things constantly to either reassess their usefulness to ourselves or bring an idea to people who had not been exposed to it before.

The thread was about what do you hear when you do eliminate connectors and instead we hear about how one should should stick to connectors because the writer of the post uses connectors. That is edifying stuff.

If you are happy with connectors then why are you posting on this thread? I do not get it.

If you are not interested in what is being discussed here why not start a thread extolling the virtues of connectors?

This has become very tiresome. A group wants to talk about something and then the avalanche of people who are not doing this or interested in doing it weigh in with nothing surprising at all. Who is surprised that the vast majority of folks are content to spend lots of money on connectors? It is like writing that the sun rose this morning.

So yet another thread that attempted to explore something out of the ordinary has been ruined. It is becoming routine.

And by the way - an engineer USES science. He is not a scientist. This should be obvious but it does not seem to be here.

There are forums catering to people who specialize in what they think they hear. One I occasionally check out has a sub forum called "the cutting edge". It is all about tweaks and high end expirimental diy. You should check it out, as flaming, et al is strictly forbidden thereby letting patrons talk in comfort.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are happy with connectors then why are you posting on this thread? I do not get it.
So no one is allowed to express an opinion, relate their experiences and knowledge, provide guidance - if it does not agree with your views?

This thread, like all others here, is an open discussion. If someone asks about hard wired systems, he should expect to get answers. Not all those answers will be the same.

I'm still waiting for your reply to me previous post, BTW.

I have to agree^^^

The OP idea was to eliminate connectors in the signal path. That in and of itself implies that connectors are bad in some way. If someone else suggests that connectors don't have to be bad, and not all are bad, that directly speaks to the OP. OP also wanted experiences. If we experienced some sort of improvement, great. And if we did not, that is also directly relevant to the OP.

An example, I all the time assist people trying to find technical information - schematics mostly. Countless times I suggest they call the OEM and ask for the drawings, and I get the response that "All the companies don't send out schematic, and are never helpful." That isn't true. The OP in that case wants someone to send him his information because "the company won't". I suggest he call them anyway, because my experience is that many - not all, but many - companies try very hard to be accommodating in this regard. (at least in pro audio) In other words, the connection he thinks doesn't work well, works just fine in my estimation and experience. SO I brought it up, instead of passing over his thread.

This is a forum, not a support group.

If you only accept one point of view, why bother discussing anything? Cable and connector threads usually cause friction on most hifi forums so why would it be different here?

Ok, my experience in short -

Some years ago i compared bare speaker wire ends clamped in binding posts with expensive Eichmann banana plugs and finally with cheap but decent Nakamichi ones. No noticeable difference.

I also tried comparing expensive Eichmann RCA plugs with cheap Neutrik ones using the same interconnect cable. No noticeable difference.

I finally moved things about so that i could make ALL cables as short as possible. Some (small) noticeable difference.

Conclusion - getting carried away over connectors is a waste of time, there are usually a great many connections inside any piece of hifi equipment, all those individual components are connected by at least two soldered joints. There is often hundreds of connections throughout a system so why would hard wiring a few interconnects and speaker cables make any difference?

Connectors are active filters/effects devices......as are wires/cables, passive components, solders, substates etc.
Every material used in the system and signal path imparts a signature, get used to it.
The trick is in erasing the upstream signatures.

Dan.

Last edited:
The sound quality is the sum of all those components and connections in combination with the input signal and mains residue. That a few of them are plugged instead of soldered makes virtually no difference as long as they are electrically good low resistance connections. I used to solder wires direct to the boards but it made swapping them more difficult with a risk of damaging pcb traces. I stopped doing that when i realised that using pin headers made no noticeable difference.

Some people on here use brass sockets to plug component legs into so they can swap components quickly to compare sonic differences. They believe that components can impart a sonic difference which remain once they replace the sockets with solder joints.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.