Is mono coming back ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Live and dj soundsystems are almost always mono on speaker level (or at least mixed mono/stereo), and many people listen to mono as their audio system is mono (small radio's, phones, ...) so it never was gone.

I prefer stereo on home and car systems, but for bigger, mono is better as the chance that you are in the sweetspot of the stereo image is very small. It gives a better sound outside that sweetspot, so everybody in the venue can have more or less the same tonal balance

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not surprising at all.
I´m a photographer and keenly aware on how to give "depth" to an image which is 2 dimensional.
In this case, by skillful use of differential focus, front to back difference in sharpness and contrast or shadows and reflections.
Good analogy and lovely photos, thanks!

It was surprising to me how many depth clues mono contains. Of course once you think about, it's not so surprising - as tonal shift, timing, reflections, dry vs wet, etc all exist in mono, as well as on each channel of stereo.

Would certainly cut back on the cost of heat sinking on class A amplifiers! OR double up for extra reliability.

Grounding is easier, chassis work a little easier, fewer cables, no mis-wired bass cancellation, no poor tracking between channels in your volume potentiometer, less noise from phono pick up - and the list goes on !

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here's a side question that I hope is not OT.

I've bought a lot of thrift store and bargain bin LPs from the 50s, 60s, 70s. Many of them are mono. And I know there were stereo versions of the same LP. Why so much mono? Were they cheaper at the time? More common? Or is it just my odd luck?

A stereo cartridge will be compatible with a mono record.
But a mono cartridge was not always compatible with stereo records.
Having no need for up and down compliance early mono cartridges ruin stereo records. Hence the need for mono versions of recordings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.