Turning Pro - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2002, 06:00 AM   #1
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Turning Pro

Has anyone thought of turning this hobby into a profession? ie, a Diy speaker person selling their speakers on a commercial level??
just a thought for future reference.

For those that are in the industry, how did it all begin??? Personally i cant think of any better life then listening to music as often as possible, developing ways to make your music sound better, and, if done well, making a living out of it.

Just a thought......
Old 1st April 2002, 07:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Making it big

I think its somewhere between "build it and they will come" and the car salesman...

There's a guy in a van local to here with some logo depicting tube amplifiers. Once when pumping gas at the same time, I inquired about his business. Basically he said "Well, people like what we do". Apparently, enough people to keep him afloat.

I got a lecture recently from an enterpreneur, who said there's lots of folks with the big money to spend on audio / HT. They want the whole package spec'd and installed, not just a pair of speakers.

It was suggested to take your knowledge about audio and apply it to a small business which does installations. (You could certainly sell your speakers as part of a package) The gist of the message was that there's plenty of people who desire top-notch performance, but dont want to be bothered with what type of capacitor or wire sounds better.

They want YOU to have all that worked out for the money. How you gain their trust to invest in you and your stuff is the salesman part. Maybe they know just enough to be dangerous (like cables make a difference) but have no idea how to integrate what. That's something you could leverage your sale off of.
Old 4th April 2002, 09:20 AM   #3
Banned

Default How did it all begin?

Don't remember, and not sure I want to. Try it, you'll be sorry. I spent less time listening and more time fighting with parts suppliers, dealers that didn't pay, and schmuck reviewers. Got to the point I didn't listen at all to music. And a good way to go broke fast.

Let's say you have $100,000 to invest. Put it in the stock market. You have a much better chance of getting rich, and less likely to go broke.

Right, Harry?

Jocko
Old 4th April 2002, 09:46 AM   #4
Banned

Default hobby into a profession

Only everyone who has done any hobby long enough to think they can make money at it has tried to turn it into a business. This would probably account for 95% of high end audio companies. Don't anyone quite your day jobs to do this. Hard work and you will grow to hate audio if your not careful. Go to bed Jocko, and the rest of you insomniacs too!

H.H.
Old 4th April 2002, 10:41 AM   #5
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default he`s right

now audio diy is my hobby, and i love it to design ans build amps and speakers- and sell them sometimes- when i am lucky to do that...

But when you do it as proffessional -YOU MUST- !!!

In earlier times computers and networks were my hobby, too.
four years ago i turned it in to proffession.
And what do i do in my free time, now? nothing with computers - (in the moment)- but much with audio!

Ralf
Old 4th April 2002, 11:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

hmmmm, maybe not then.

so i just go for the double economics/commerce degree at melb uni whilst hobbying?

isnt as apealling as my first thought, oh well.

summary, a life in audio leads to pain, poverty, and in the end not actually listening to any music?
Old 4th April 2002, 05:42 PM   #7
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been lucky to have attended many Hi End CES in Las Vegas and had the chance to speak with many audio designers, salespeople, and audio magazine editors. And I have to agree with what has been stated in this thread.
I have talked with these audio people (short convesations didn't want to get in the way of doing business) about starting an audio business and they said pretty much the same things.
If I remember correctly back in the early 90s, I asked Mr. Pass the same thing. Can't remember what he said, but I wasn't going to embarass myself by asking any cicruit design questions.
Old 4th April 2002, 05:42 PM   #8
Banned

Insomnia, plus too much pain to sleep, but not enought to waste a pain killer on.

Actually, this thread might best be called "Where did I go wrong?", or "What the hell was I thinking?" [joke]

I bet Harry knows what I'm talking about all points here.

Jocko
Old 4th April 2002, 08:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

if u dont mind me asking, what companies are u all from? i think that the only person i know about their background is Nelson Pass, that was a no-brainer really
Old 4th April 2002, 09:52 PM   #10
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I'm a flower shop owner.
No, not really. I was just kidding.
I have mainly worked as a electronics technicain for years but for manufacturing companies were the work was the same problems over and over again . I didn't have to use much imagination or test equipment but the money was very good. The company I work for now mainly does (boring) ATE and...drum roll... They hired me as a Electrical Engineer which means I can operate toy electric trains.

Hide this!Advertise here!