Please Help Identify Component - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2016, 03:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please Help Identify Component

I put this thread here because it doesn't have anything to do with audio. As the title says, I need help identifying the component in the picture. I have absolutely no idea what it is. If you do, please help. There is some writing on it, but I can't make it out. It's way too faint, even with my maginification headset. I don't have a scope, which is probably what is needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0677.jpg (76.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 13th April 2016, 03:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It looks like a thermal fuse. What's it out of.
Old 13th April 2016, 03:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's out of a B&D coffee maker. There are two of them on two different connections. They each have heat protective thermal jackets on them. They are connected to terminals at the "pump". If any of this helps.
Old 13th April 2016, 04:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It appears you are right, tubelab. I first looked at mouser and they don't appear to have anything like that. I then did a bing search and some pics of thermal fuses came up.

Now, how do I know what "size" to get since I can't read the writing on the one I have?

Thanks for your help in identifying this piece. I sort of thought it may some kind of a fusible link, but it looked different from all of the fusible links I have seen in the past.
Old 13th April 2016, 04:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You need to get the correct part for safety. If you do a parts search for B&D it may be a common part.
Old 13th April 2016, 04:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
You need to get the correct part for safety. If you do a parts search for B&D it may be a common part.
I was doing some research on Digikey. They have them.Not that I can order one $1.00 fuse from them. But anyway, it seems like the colored "pencil point tip" is some type of "coding" because in the dtatsheet that I downloaded for them, thereare some pictures of all kinds of different temperatures ones and they each have a different colored tip on them corresponding to different temperature cutoffs.

I'm going to try and do what you said and see if I can figure out for certain what temp cutoff one I need. Hopefully, I can find it somewhere around my town, so I don't need to mess with ordering this of the Internet and pay more for shipping than the part costs.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 13th April 2016, 04:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Check this link they explained how to fix coffee makers.
Link:Coffee Makers
Old 13th April 2016, 05:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Hi,
Check this link they explained how to fix coffee makers.
Link:Coffee Makers

I found that site, too. He really doesn't say how to fix them, at least I didn't see that, but rather goes through the history of coffee makers and how they are fire hazzards. He's a PhD and a Professional Engineer. Like a Ralph Nadar, but educated. There's a bunch of pics on there of burned up coffee makers. Some people have died from resulting fires. Lots of coffee makers have been recalled. It's an interesting site.

I still can't find for 100% certainty what size thermal cutoff is needed. I "think" it's 216 C, but not 100% certain.

Also, this thermal cutoff is out of a Mr. Coffee, NOT a Black and Decker. I don't know why I was thinking of Black and Decker.
Old 13th April 2016, 06:02 AM   #9
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

There are 1000000 brands out there, but maybe a couple dozen manufacturers (if that many) and a coffee maker is a coffee maker; I guess digging up a couple coffeemaker schematics (not here in DIYA I guess ) can give you a guide about what bthey need.

The problem is that not only they are not adjustable, which might let you adjust it up or down until it works as it should, but also they are 1 shot only.

You pick too low a value: they blow for good and you are back to square one (have to order another, etc.) , too high and it's the same as not having it at all.

EDIT: some of this might help:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t279205...e_maker_de755b

Last edited by JMFahey; 13th April 2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 13th April 2016, 06:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
There are 1000000 brands out there, but maybe a couple dozen manufacturers (if that many) and a coffee maker is a coffee maker; I guess digging up a couple coffeemaker schematics (not here in DIYA I guess ) can give you a guide about what bthey need.

The problem is that not only they are not adjustable, which might let you adjust it up or down until it works as it should, but also they are 1 shot only.

You pick too low a value: they blow for good and you are back to square one (have to order another, etc.) , too high and it's the same as not having it at all.
I guess I'd like to put back in what came out. After all, only one burned out. It's a different set-up in this coffee maker from others I have been looking at on the Internet. Most of the other ones I have looked at seem to have 2 thermal cutoffs IN SERIES. This Mr. Coffee I have is different. There is ONE thermal cutoff in EACH of the lines running up to the "pump". The warmer pad still works. Everything EXCEPT the "pump" works. The warmer and electronics are setup on a different circuit enitrely and have a buss type fuse protecting them.

I think the next jump up from the 216 C thermal cutoff is 228 C. Then it jumps to 240 C after that. Parts Express has NTE brand. I have an order I'm getting ready sitting in my cart at PE. If I can find which one to get, that would be good. I'll check back in tomorrow. Getting too late.

Last edited by McInRantz; 13th April 2016 at 06:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!