Repurposing Bose soundlink mini

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I have a Bose soundlink mini that has died. I want to take the speakers out of it and put them into an old retro radio.

I have raspberry pi and iqaudio Dac+amp with two speaker channels.

From what I have read the soundlink mini has two active left and right speakers and 2 passive bass radiators.

My questions are the following:

1) They are active speakers, however if i disconnect the drivers from all the circuitry, am I able to plug the drivers directly into left and right on my mini amp? Ive read you cant plug active speakers into an amp, but these are just the drivers dettached from the bose.

2) As i only have 2 channels, im not sure where to put the bass radiators. Can i plug both of these into each of the L and R channels and expect them to just play the lower ranges, or will it just defeat the object of not having a dedicated sub channel on the amp?

I understand the speakers probably wont be that great without all the bose magic, but as long as it sounds half decent id be happy. The radio itself used to have a 4w 8Ohm single speaker on its own, and it was terrible. I could just upgrade that speaker, but it would waste my 2 channel amp as I can only put it in one channel.

The other option is i buy two small (2.5" or 3") full range speakers and put them side by side in the small enclosure.

Any opinions appreciated.

Regards

Lee

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Lee,
You are going to find that many diyers shy away from Bose. If I read what you have, here's the beans. The active drivers are the ones connected to the amp and the passive drivers are not, they use the sound from in the cabinet to extend the bass, similar to a reflex port. You have to ensure the cabinet you put the drivers into is the same as the Bose cabinet in order to work properly. On top of that, Bose usually uses an eq network to make lesser drivers sound better so if you transfer it over, that has to be included. Even more, the sound that Bose produces is not what many people like as it electronically accentuates certain frequencies while reducing others.

What this is all leading to is that you may well want to consider new drivers.

There is no need for passive crossover because drivers are "fullrange", but EQ is necessary for some bass output.
I have a Bose soundlink mini that has died. I want to take the speakers out of it and put them into an old retro radio.

1) They are active speakers, however if i disconnect the drivers from all the circuitry, am I able to plug the drivers directly into left and right on my mini amp?
2) As i only have 2 channels, im not sure where to put the bass radiators. Can i plug both of these into each of the L and R channels and expect them to just play the lower ranges, or will it just defeat the object of not having a dedicated sub channel on the amp?
1) Yes.
2) You can't connect Bass radiators to an amplifier because they are not intended to be. They are so-called passive radiators (ABR - Auxiliary Bass Radiator) and they are similar in their action to bass-reflex tube in a vented box (you can't connect bass-reflex tube to an amplifier ;)).
Connect one fullrange driver to the left and other one to the right amp output. Just mount both bass radiators in the box. Internal volume of the loudspeaker box must be the same as the internal volume of the Bose, minus volume occupied by electronics and other staff. You can insert that small box inside the (bigger?) enclosure of the retro radio, but all drivers and bass radiators must face outwards.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.