Acceptable criticism (from Feedback artifacts)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
AKSA said:
People who attack Nelson in his forum are either misinformed or idiots, and most would not begrudge him due respect.

People who attack anyone anywhere are either misinformed or idiots because this is a place for us to share ideas, not personal attacks, like you presented below.

That holds true for anyone on this forum, be it Nelson, you or me. Nobody should be attacked for holding his view. And that has absolutely nothing to do with one's achievement, or statue. It is basic humanity that each and everyone of us should show for our fellow human beings.

What is, however, up for grab is the ideas or views that anyone of us may present in this forum. Those views or ideas should be subject to scrutiny, debate, and challenge. That means no disrespect for anyone, being it Nelson or you or me. It is all about learning the truth.

As I often advocate, "there is nothing wrong with people, but the processes the people follow".

If you find it disrespect to you if people challenge your view, you should keep it to yourself and don't share it in a public forum.

The central issue, in my view, isn't that those views are challenged, but people take those challenges personally.

Well, too bad.

millwood said:

What is, however, up for grab is the ideas or views that anyone of us may present in this forum. Those views or ideas should be subject to scrutiny, debate, and challenge. That means no disrespect for anyone, being it Nelson or you or me. It is all about learning the truth.

If that's your main goal for this forum, I think you should be looking somwhere else.

People are here for friendly discussion and sharing of ideas. They don't want to be bothered with scrutinity and to be challenged by others. They don't want to check every word, before it's posted. They don't want to use special signature, so they are left alone and are not challenged.

As those who challenge, don't contribute any useful value, but create distraction and confusion only. And they actually prevent others from posting. In such case, they should be put under moderation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:
People are here for friendly discussion and sharing of ideas. They don't want to be bothered with scrutinity and be challenged by others. They don't want to check every word, before it's posted. They don't want to use special signature, so they are left alone and not challenged.

I usually find more wise to NOT speak for others. More often than not, that will land you in trouble.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:
As those who challenge, don't contribute any useful value, but create distraction and confusion only. And they actually prevent others from posting. In such case, they should be put under moderation.

I suppose that moderators also follow rules, as part of a democrocy, right?

Peter, which of the rules at the enclosed link empowers you to make the above statement?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=4

Peter Daniel said:
If that's your main goal for this forum, I think you should be looking somwhere else.

People are here for friendly discussion and sharing of ideas. They don't want to be bothered with scrutinity and be challenged by others. They don't want to check every word, before it's posted. They don't want to use special signature, so they are left alone and not challenged.

You mean this place REALLY IS supposed to be a place where a handful of "gurus" minister to a flock of unquestioning sycophants and nothing is to ever be questioned or challenged?

Wow. Was I ever mistaken about this place.

se

:cop: For your edification:

MODERATORS STATEMENT
It has come to our attention that some people are being naughty.

We do not want naughty boys
We may have to give you a serious warning
We may have to put you in the sin bin for a week or two
If you offend several times, we may have to kick you out

Some things we do not like are:

Being rude to other members
Deliberately moving threads off topic
Being a pest to other members
We like good discussion. We have a hands-off policy towards some noise and some chaos and some members being a little bit picky. But not at the expense of making the forum bad news for the majority.

We want members to feel safe walking down the street. We want members to feel they can post without being attacked.

There are 8 moderators {this has changed- SY}. All over 7 feet tall. All over 17 stone. All trained athletes with bulging muscles and hair trigger reflexes. Each moderator is equipped with two low slung colt 45's, night vision glasses and armour piercing tracer shells.

:cop: Steve, it depends on the nature of the thread and the (admittedly subjective) tone and history of the questioner.

We encourage the starting of new threads where appropriate. People who want debate are welcome to invite it and engage in it. On-topic debate of technical matters is ALWAYS approriate unless done in a rude manner.

Steve Eddy said:

You mean this place REALLY IS supposed to be a place where a handful of "gurus" minister to a flock of unquestioning sycophants and nothing is to ever be questioned or challenged?

Wow. Was I ever mistaken about this place.

se

It is not exactly like that. But when you look at this from a different angle, it can be also interpreted that a handful of "challengers" create constant distraction and nothing can be ever discussed in an orderly fashion.

How mistaken can you get about that?

Peter Daniel said:
It is not exactly like that.

How exactly is it then?

When you say "As those who challenge, don't contribute any useful value, but create distraction and confusion only" I don't see any room for any sort of questioning or challenging.

But when you look at this from a different angle, it can be also interpreted that a handful of "challengers" create constant distraction and nothing can be ever discussed in an orderly fashion.

That depends on what the challenge is I suppose.

How mistaken can you get about that?

I don't know. Can you elaborate a bit on what you said above?

se

Steve Eddy said:

How exactly is it then?

When you say "As those who challenge, don't contribute any useful value, but create distraction and confusion only" I don't see any room for any sort of questioning or challenging.

That depends on what the challenge is I suppose.

I don't know. Can you elaborate a bit on what you said above?

se

>>It is not exactly "a place where a handful of "gurus" minister to a flock of unquestioning sycophants and nothing is to ever be questioned or challenged". Anything can be challenged and questioned, but if you want to do that, start your own thread and do it there. Don't disturb the people, who are interested in anything, but your challenge. That's what I meant by saying that they don't contribute any useful value to a discusion. But they are always welcome to start the discussion of their own, the question is how many sycophants they will find?

>>Most of the so called challenges could be classified as such (as above)

>>Well, I'm not here to force any particular POV, I'm merely trying to find a middle ground, where everybody can find a space for themselves. But I would like to see more mutual respect, and not only for the "gurus".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.