Measurable influence of speaker cable to freq response and distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am attaching measurements that show measurable influence of speaker cable to both frequency response and distortion. The speaker cable is a zip cord with 1.5mm2 cross section area and is 5m long. Frequency response and distortion are measured directly at amplifier terminals (blue) and also at speaker terminals behind the speaker cable (red). We can see that both frequency response and distortion plots are modulated by speaker impedance for the measurements behind the cable. 3-way speaker is used.

The amplifier itself has very very low output impedance. Its frequency response and distortion in fact copy those of the measuring card.

Attachments

• Amplitude response.png
    Amplitude response.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 302
  • amp terminals.png
    amp terminals.png
    108 KB · Views: 293
  • speaker terminals.png
    speaker terminals.png
    111 KB · Views: 289
Very interesting. A smoking gun for cables affecting response! And who knows what is happening at radio frequencies to cause oscillation? :D

There's a school of thought that if you modify the speaker and filter so it presents a flat impedance to the amplifier, then an ohm or two resistive or even some reactance from the cable has very little effect. You can certainly model this by adding a series reactance or just 6 ohms, and some great speakers had a very flat impedance.

In fact once speaker impedance is flat, and TBH this is particularly difficult to do with the bass peak because the LCR has ludicrous values, it really doesn't matter if it's a voltage-source solid state amplifier or a current-source valve amplifier. Or what the cables do.

I'd hope you have seen the sort of LCR elements that are added to parallel crossovers to make them SET (non-feedback) valve-friendly and impedance flat. But maybe they are a good thing with solid-state amps too.

Attachments

• TheveninEquivalent2.png
    TheveninEquivalent2.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
SY, you are mean! :D

We might as well give up now. Everybody wants a better speaker. My friend Cousin Billy is designing some really good stuff with series crossovers. The idea is that the damping doesn't rely on the amp, it's built into the speaker.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279278-4-way-series-crossover-accuton-acoustic-elegance-drivers.html

Are series crossovers special? I think they are. They have not only a shallower rolloff than parallel filters, they use a bell-shaped curve on the slopes, rather than the boxy quadratic function of parallel filters. The fact they do relatively flat impedance too is, well, INTERESTING. :cool:

Attachments

• Cousin Billy 2 way 5 inch bass FR.PNG
    Cousin Billy 2 way 5 inch bass FR.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 257
  • Cousin Billy Cascade Two Way 5 inch circuit.PNG
    Cousin Billy Cascade Two Way 5 inch circuit.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Pavel has added some distortion measurements (a nice idea), but those seem to be not normalized to the frequency response changes.

The plots of H2, H3 etc. distortions are with respect to fundamental. Yes the fundamental is modulated behind the cable, but within no more than 0.4dB, so the distortion plots are quite OK. The main reason of modulated distortion behind the cable is actually nonlinear speaker current (even if voltage is linear) times cable resistance. See also

Current drive of speakers and speaker distortion

I should probably emphasize that both measurements are with amplifier loaded with speaker (+ cable), blue plot is directly at amplifier output terminals and red plot is at speaker box terminals. Speaker impedance is like this:

Attachments

• ascent90-impedance_bw3.PNG
    ascent90-impedance_bw3.PNG
    52.7 KB · Views: 96
With the at-the-speaker distortion test showing >80 dB down from the fundamental, I'd say that's nothing to loose any sleep over.

Sure, however it is interesting, at least to me.

Remember the amp has output impedance of some 0.005 - 0.01 ohm. What would you say if I used a tube amp with output impedance of 1 - 4 ohm? :)
Yes, cable influence would disappear but we shall have huge linear and nonlinear interface distortion, not mentioning intrinsic tube amp distortion.

You will see the same effect on the battery terminals and the starter motor when starting your engine. At the low impedance side of the conductor (resistor) you will see much less effect than that at the side that is transforming the electrical energy into mechanical energy with varying impedance.

Remember the amp has output impedance of some 0.005 - 0.01 ohm. What would you say if I used a tube amp with output impedance of 1 - 4 ohm? :)
Yes, cable influence would disappear but we shall have huge linear and nonlinear interface distortion, not mentioning intrinsic tube amp distortion.

That might be more relevant and interesting because of almost the same impedance both sides of the speaker cable. Do you have a tube amp to try?

Yes it was interesting and I support all DIY'rs to experiment with audio tests. You can do nothing but learn more about this wonderful hobby.
Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Frequency response and distortion are measured directly at amplifier terminals (blue) and also at speaker terminals behind the speaker cable (red).

Hi PMA, interesting results. On some distant past thread I showed similar frequency response measurements for 18 gauge as I recall. Two questions:

- what is the nominal impedance of the 3-way?
- is the input stage of the measurement system referenced to ground?

I remember in my communication days that we used impedance correcting networks every few km of telephone cable to correct for line distortion and group delay. One would expect the distortion to be horendous after a few km of two core copper, but it was not. You would still recognise your mother from your wife.

Joined 2011
Remember the amp has output impedance of some 0.005 - 0.01 ohm. What would
you say if I used a tube amp with output impedance of 1 - 4 ohm? Yes, cable influence
would disappear but we shall have huge linear and nonlinear interface distortion,
not mentioning intrinsic tube amp distortion.

All of John Atkinson's Stereophile amplifier tests include frequency response into a dummy speaker load.
Check out some of the no-nfb tube amps.

Last edited:
OK, we can see that the cable makes a measurable difference. It will, of course, depend on cable resistance and inductance, though capacitance would have a negligible effect for the low Zout and stable amplifier.

Now, how about audibility? I assume that measurement of some phenomenon is a basis of further discussion on possible audibility. If we had zero measurable effect, the speculations about audibility would be difficult ;)

OK, we can see that the cable makes a measurable difference. It will, of course, depend on cable resistance and inductance, though capacitance would have a negligible effect for the low Zout and stable amplifier.

Now, how about audibility? I assume that measurement of some phenomenon is a basis of further discussion on possible audibility. If we had zero measurable effect, the speculations about audibility would be difficult ;)

Audibility? At >80 dB down (0.01%!) from the fundamental; if you can hear that, you are awarded 'golden ear' status.

Hi PMA, interesting results. On some distant past thread I showed similar frequency response measurements for 18 gauge as I recall. Two questions:

- what is the nominal impedance of the 3-way?

- is the input stage of the measurement system referenced to ground?

I posted the impedance plot, nominal impedance is pointless.

Measurement is balanced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.