how do you discharge a capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As you know I'm a beginner and I want to know how do you discharge the capacitor before working on it? Anyone have any safety tips when upgrading or working with power capacitor?
Do you measure the capacitors on the board with a dvm? and how do you use a resistor to drain the capacitor charge??? I don't want to get SHOCKED!
thanks

You can use 1k/5w resistor (1 kilo ohm 5watt) I would put longer insulated leads on it so you're sure you won't touch anything accidently. In general, how bigger value in resistance how slower discharge.. Never discharge caps by shorting them.. They hate it...;) :) Hope this helps..

<Mr. Unsafe> I always let 'em discharge, then short whatever's left.. otherwise... just short 'em.. </Mr. Unsafe> :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Safe advice is yes, use a resistor. Pick a resistance such that 5 to 20 time constants pass in say 1 to 15 seconds (depends on how impatient you are :eek: ). If you want to discharge in 5 seconds, each T.C. is going to be 1 second... if the cap is 100uF, that's 1sec = R ohms * .0001 farad, uhm R = 1s / .0001F = 10kohm. Power rating adequate for releasing that energy in that time... 100uF at 450V is 10J (E = 1/2 V^2 C ), which is 2W average over 5 seconds. It's an intermittent thing so I wouldn't worry about using too small a resistor here.

Tim

Sch3mat1c said:
It's an intermittent thing so I wouldn't worry about using too small a resistor here.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Depends, the resistor needs at least capable of handling the peak current, otherwise there is a risk the connection between the resistor element and the end caps will break. So don’t use film resistors for it. Best is to use a wire wound resistor of 10-20W.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.