Garrard 1025 help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2015, 06:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Garrard 1025 help

Hi
I have a Kriesler 11-104 with a Garrard 1025 turntable that did a few revolutions when I turned it on but then it stopped working. Can somebody give me ideas on where to start to fix it?
I am a complete beginner at this so all help/tips appreciated.
Thanks
Soundbeginner
Old 15th August 2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

When I encounter old turntable, I often find hardened lubrication and dead rubber. Does the platter spin freely if you give it a whirl with your finger? Or do you need to push it around? When the thing stalls, if you give the platter a bit of a start, does it try to turn again?

I often have to remove the platter from a table, clean the central bushing and shaft, and relube with a light oil, so it doesn't drag while spinning. Sometimes the motor shaft bearings/bushings have dried up lube, and the motor is fighting it, so it lacks strength to turn the platter. Especially on a mechanical system like this one, there are gears and cams underneath, and perhaps the motor is stalling when it tries to move the tone arm as well as spin the platter. Clean and relube motor bushings often livens up the motor. Same thing with the idler wheel, it needs to spin freely on its shaft.

As to rubber, the motor is usually mounted on a few rubber grommets to isolate it from the metal chassis. if those grommets break down from age, the motor can drop a little way, so the idler makes poor contact with the motor shaft. Then it can't drive the platter. Replace the motor mount grommets then. The idler wheel has a rubber tire around the edge, and if it hardens with age, it cannot grip the inside edge of the platter to turn it, it slips. A rubber rejuvenation or a new idler fixes that.

I am speaking in general, and your particular model may not be exactly as I describe, but those are common record changer repairs.

Hide this!Advertise here!