Garrard 1025 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I encounter old turntable, I often find hardened lubrication and dead rubber. Does the platter spin freely if you give it a whirl with your finger? Or do you need to push it around? When the thing stalls, if you give the platter a bit of a start, does it try to turn again?

I often have to remove the platter from a table, clean the central bushing and shaft, and relube with a light oil, so it doesn't drag while spinning. Sometimes the motor shaft bearings/bushings have dried up lube, and the motor is fighting it, so it lacks strength to turn the platter. Especially on a mechanical system like this one, there are gears and cams underneath, and perhaps the motor is stalling when it tries to move the tone arm as well as spin the platter. Clean and relube motor bushings often livens up the motor. Same thing with the idler wheel, it needs to spin freely on its shaft.

As to rubber, the motor is usually mounted on a few rubber grommets to isolate it from the metal chassis. if those grommets break down from age, the motor can drop a little way, so the idler makes poor contact with the motor shaft. Then it can't drive the platter. Replace the motor mount grommets then. The idler wheel has a rubber tire around the edge, and if it hardens with age, it cannot grip the inside edge of the platter to turn it, it slips. A rubber rejuvenation or a new idler fixes that.

I am speaking in general, and your particular model may not be exactly as I describe, but those are common record changer repairs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.