Power Transformer question (Airport)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, sorry if this was asked before. Having a phone to browse websites is kinda pita.

Anyway, i have someone built me a Marantz 7 clone preamp locally. He made the Power Transformer seperated to the main chassis. I will be travelling abroad and will bring the preamp with me. I'm thinking of bringing the transformer as carrry on so my checked baggage would free up some space and weight for records. I necer tried this before with my airlines (Emirates). But they are very accomodating with regards to carry on baggage. Last time i travelled i had a big largeformat camera with me and a small bag full of other stuff. Didn't had problem then because it was just camera gear. Now, i'm not sure about the amp transformers. Anyone had tried this before without any problem?

Thank you guys!

Your mileage may vary ....
Twice I had a transformer in my carry-on luggage and it got by screening, but it was a hassle. They removed it and sniffed it and kept me there for 20 minutes and had to get a supervisor because the idiots did not know what it was.. I did manage to proceed with it both times.... The 3rd time was a a disaster, they panicked and kept me 20 minutes and then refused to give it back for carry on... I had to go back to the counter and check it in...then re-wait in security line and within minutes of loosing my flight...

Best of Luck

Hi
Why not ask the airline before travelling. Transformers not plugged in are not a electrical hazard
however their weight and how they are stored, being made to be unable to fall out
of your luggage, might be a limiting factor, the usual weight tolerance being 7kg
for carry on items.

Cheers / Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.