What is the point of SACD? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2015, 12:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question What is the point of SACD?

I recently noticed that a particular Classical CD in which I was interested was available in SACD format.

I don't have a SACD player; I believe that they tend to be significantly more expensive than ordinary CD players and my understanding is that no normal person is capable of reliably distinguishing between music from a CD or a SACD (unless listening to 5.1).

Why are people still producing SACD disks?
Old 11th August 2015, 01:09 PM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And are they really higher res. or just up sampled?
Old 11th August 2015, 01:15 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

multichannel and heavy duty anti piracy?
Old 11th August 2015, 01:19 PM   #4
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have a SONY Blu-Ray player. It also plays SACD I don't know if SONY produces pure SACD players...
Old 11th August 2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

SACD allowed Sony to introduce effective copy protection mechanisms without violating CD´s redbook standard.
Keep in mind there´s always Sony Music with their own interests in the background.
That´s basically all.
Everything else about ´better sonics´ and ´better resolution´ is marketing BS imho.

jauu
Calvin
Old 11th August 2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
multichannel and heavy duty anti piracy?
Yes.. but on the other hand high performing sound cards are cheap and can easily be used capturing the analog out from a SACD-player and then up on pirate bay etc.

It's possible to rip the digital stream as well but a bit more complicated.

I drank the cool aid when the format came and then made listening tests passing the superior sounding SACD's thru a PCM loop and could not hear a difference. It was then I realised the masters often differes so not possible to make comparisons directly between a redbook CD and SACD.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

If you bother to really listen to SACD and compare on a decent system you will find that it does offer an improvement. I have a decent quality SACD player and indeed the SACD discs present an improvement over regular CD's. However since 99.9% of discs are standard format it makes sense to optimize your system for those.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post

It's possible to rip the digital stream as well but a bit more complicated.
Bar the PS/3 hack is there any other way? The 5.1 uncompressed stream is only available on HDMI which is DRM laden.

I would like to experiment with 5.1 music at home, but baulk at the entry cost of anything to get the surround info off the disk. Not really bothered about 5.1 for movies tho.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:52 PM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
If you bother to really listen to SACD and compare on a decent system you will find that it does offer an improvement. I have a decent quality SACD player and indeed the SACD discs present an improvement over regular CD's. However since 99.9% of discs are standard format it makes sense to optimize your system for those.
How decent a system...
How much better is it?
Old 11th August 2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
I think you missed what I wrote in the post above your. ;-)

You can not compare a SACD to a CD. Only test that say anything at all is feeding the SACD output thru a PCM loop (ADC > DAC).

Also plenty of the SACD releases ARE old PCM masters with no information above 22kHz.

I also see no logic in optimizing a system for one or the other digital source. Perhaps you need slightly better designed amp with SACD or higher than 44.1kS/s PCM since there is a small risk of (audible)IMD with ultra sound.

Last edited by Pan; 11th August 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!