What is the point of SACD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the Point of SACD

Like quadraphonic it will become a white elephant.
A really good stereo presents a more than adequate sound-stage and beautiful clarity. The manufacturers have to keep coming up with something for us to spend our cash on, but it and many other innovations are no better than good old analog stereo.

Looked into this for couple of years and have listened a lot trying to tell what is better.

To me the quality of the recording setup, equipment and its mastering makes far more difference that the question of SA or regular CD.

More SACD's sound decent to me, but then more of them were remastered with real care as they were being made for "audiophiles". As we really don't have CD's and SACD's from the same master without changes, it is quite hard to say with any assurance how different they are. Both can sound quite good if done right. IMHO.

Regards,
Greg

>SNIP>
More SACD's sound decent to me, but then more of them were remastered with real care >SNIP>
Can you explain this please?

Are you suggesting that a recording of a performance was made, this was transferred for CD production and the recording of the same performance was subsequently altered in some way "with real care" to provide a better version for SACDs to target a minority audiophile martket? Frankly this sounds highly unlikely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.