Confusion With Win98SE And Com Ports

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Dave:

It's a Lucent Sv92 (Soft Modem) which I have a hunch is another way of saying WinModem. Hee computer is an IBM Pentium II 400 MHZ. Mine is the same only 233MHZ.

Although I have an earlier version of a similar "SoftModem" the Lucent 156LVP-F, mine works well enough for me.

Still, I have heard bad enough things about WinModems before this, so I think the logical next step might be to try an external-AFTER I follow your instructions about turning off the computer, etc.

Thanks a ton for the advice. :up: I will post how it turns out.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
zobsky said:
i had a similar thing happen with a lucent softmodem a few years back, .. i got it to work again a few times by following the steps you mentioned but eventually, .. even this stopped working, .. i just bought a new 3COM modem and that worked fine till i upgraded to broadband internet.

Looks like my experience mirrors yours. The Lucent SoftModem in her machine simply won't connect, even though I followed DRC's advice.

Like I said, I have a slower version of her machine, IBM 400 MHZ versus 266 MHZ for me. I ordered that V92 SoftModem for myself since a guy on another board raved about hoe the Sv92 connected his machine up at speeds. I realized immediately that it was meant for speeds faster then 266 MHZ, so I put it aside until I get a faster computer.

It worked nice in her 400 MHz computer so I thought we had a perfect match. Apparently we did-for about two days. Then, problems.

Next step-external modem from Staples. If that doesn't work-junk the whole computer and get another. It's pretty old anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.