Uk ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which of these posts lists your questions?
Is this just a USA forum ?

Just thought it might be just a USA site because no one seems to answer any of my questions

Just waiting for a few bits to get here, I'll repost then if the amps still the same but thanks for confirming the forum is universal

Just waiting for some parts to get here, I'll just repost when I'm ready to do my amp, I could do with a picture of a nad thermal stability mod under the board, I'm having trouble following the shematic I'm a novice with this sort of thing, but learning slowly

Just thought I'd ask, there's probably forums who do cater for local groups only, anyway nice to here from everyone

Got my cuppa here 😊

hi this is the 701 board, it looks fine with no burning, no smells nothing it all looks like new, the small green .1 uf caps was swollen so changed them, the output transistors are new one's so when i change the rest it should work, i just need to mod the underneath with the resistors for the thermal stability, and thanks for all the help by the way, love these amps hope i can sort it out i had the 3020 years ago with diamond 2's which i managed to get the other month for 20 quid like new :) (bit of nostalgia kicking in) and they sound great.

i need to convert it so i will upload it when i sort it out its a TIFF file, it keeps saying error, worked as zip cool.

its compressed so think its worked now :)

Hi Andrew if you read all the thread (uk ?) it explains my questions, my nad amp went into protection mode, I've changed some components and still waiting for some to get here I just wanted a place to start as I'm a bit of a novice with this stuff, thanks for your reply
I did read the whole Thread.
So, the NAD 701 went into protection mode.
When?
Before you changed components? Or after you changed components?
Before you connect speakers, or after you connect speaker/s?
Both channels?

Protecton

Thanks Andrew for your reply, and sorry let me start over, I bought the amp nad701 got home plugged in speakers and turned it on used it for about an hour, turned it on two days later and noise ? Very quiet then went into protection mode, I had a read around on this forum and ordered the transistors 3055 & 2955 two of each changed them and still the same except the noise it made was a little louder and it seemed to stay on without speakers plugged in, since then I have changed more components and I'm still waiting for a set of transistors to get here so I got the shematic again on here and tested lots of resistors & diodes (out of circuit) all seem ok apart from one 180ohm Which fried when I put in a new fuse so changed that, that's all I can do or say for now until I get the other parts changed ?. Thanks for any forth coming help

Last edited:
Build a Mains Bulb Tester.

It will let you power up the damaged amplifier without damaging any more components.

If the amp draws too much current the bulb lights up and the voltage going to the transformer primary is massively reduced.
You end up with a secondary voltage feeding the PSU of just a few volts.
This lets you check the PSU for faults.
Measure the PSU voltage and if you can get in, measure the two amplifier voltages.
This is 6 measurements in total.

You would need to disconnect the two amplifiers and then power up again. This should allow full voltage to the PSU. Measure and report.

Sirius,

Please please try seperating your posts out into paragraphs, like Andrew (above) has. The big blocks of text are offputting at the best of times - imagine seeing a huge wall of, for example, French with no obvious breaks. Unless you had to, you just wouldn't bother trying to read it.

To give you an idea, here's your previous post:

" Thanks Andrew for your reply, and sorry let me start over,
I bought the amp nad701 got home plugged in speakers and turned it on used it for about an hour, turned it on two days later and noise ? Very quiet then went into protection mode,

I had a read around on this forum and ordered the transistors 3055 & 2955 two of each changed them and still the same except the noise it made was a little louder and it seemed to stay on without speakers plugged in, since then I have changed more components and I'm still waiting for a set of transistors to get here so I got the shematic again on here and tested lots of resistors & diodes (out of circuit)

all seem ok apart from one 180ohm Which fried when I put in a new fuse so changed that, that's all I can do or say for now until I get the other parts changed ?.

Thanks for any forth coming help
"

new parts

hi sorry for the delay, the bits I ordered came from china and took weeks. anyway there all in now built my self a bulb tester and plugged in, bulb lit up and resistor 453 (180 ohm) fried again, can anyone throw any light on this or may be give me a place to start shem 2 is the part I think is the problem, thanks

Attachments

• 701Service (1).zip
    915.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.