line output to xlr mic input - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2004, 11:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bogusblackman Send a message via MSN to bogusblackman Send a message via Yahoo to bogusblackman
Default line output to xlr mic input

Hey, newbie here, just a probably simple question for anyone that knows what they are doing. (iow, anyone besides me) I want to hook up the 1/8" line out signal from a laptop to an XLR mic input jack in a room for doing presentations from the laptop. I know that the signals are different, and just wondering what i can do to connect the two. Thanks!!
Old 14th February 2004, 03:21 AM   #2
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: line output to xlr mic input

Quote:
Originally posted by bogusblackman
Hey, newbie here, just a probably simple question for anyone that knows what they are doing. (iow, anyone besides me) I want to hook up the 1/8" line out signal from a laptop to an XLR mic input jack in a room for doing presentations from the laptop. I know that the signals are different, and just wondering what i can do to connect the two. Thanks!!

More than you will ever want to know about the subject.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Don't forget the 1/8" jack on your laptop is unbalanced stereo. If you want stereo into the sound system you will need to use two mic inputs. Don't just short the left and right channel output from your laptop to make a mono signal.

Here is more about wyeing audio signals/

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Phil
Old 14th February 2004, 05:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
The Rane notes are very good but I didnt see them addressing the difference in signal levels.

Assuming that the XLR input (female XLR connector) is truly a mic level input, your going to need about 30 dB of attenuation to match the levels.

Our friends at Tandy sell this little "gem"

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1374

at under $4 , its definitely a POS, but I have had surprisingly good results with it when used in similar applications.

-Dave
Old 14th February 2004, 05:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I googled this out of the ether, it s a pretty good article on Pad construction:

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Combine this with the radio shack transformer (no its not audiophile quality but it doesn’t need to be) and follow the Rane notes for bridging the left and right audio channels and you should be in business.

-Dave
Old 14th February 2004, 07:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A passive resistor pad is all that is needed.

Here is a useful link:

http://www.mcsquared.com/dbframe.htm

Click "T and H-Pads" at the top of the page.

Some experimentation is to be expected. Too many variables and equipment(s) with various output levels and input pads and gain stages to give a one size fits all answer.

Good Luck,

Aud_Mot
Old 25th February 2004, 04:30 AM   #6
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Da5id4Vz
The Rane notes are very good but I didnt see them addressing the difference in signal levels.

Assuming that the XLR input (female XLR connector) is truly a mic level input, your going to need about 30 dB of attenuation to match the levels.
-Dave
Umm, I've never seen a piece of gear with an XLR mic input that didn't also have a trim or gain pot. Typical range on these pots is 0 to 60 dB of gain. Don't forget that pro audio gear uses +4dBu for the zero level while consumer audio gear uses -10dBu for the zero level.

I connect consumer audio gear to audio mixers on a regular basis and have never needing to add an external pad to do so.

Phil
Old 25th February 2004, 01:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Guess Ive just been "lucky"
Old 28th February 2004, 12:32 PM   #8
trwh is offline trwh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A DI box (or two) is the right tool for the job.

Hide this!Advertise here!