DIY EPIRB is it possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I go gold prospecting into remote areas and I'm wondering if its possible to build my own EPIRB (you just never know when you'll need it?) I lent my old one out and never saw it again. They have a 5w radio @ 406mhz TX and a 0.25w radio TX @ 121.5mhz and a GPS. Would it be feasible to do this? A cheap one goes for $250. I was thinking with the small modules that are available now days I could buy the two separate radio modules, a GPS module,a battery,a plastic case,antenna and a microprocessor.Has anyone ever done this DIY? Its a bit beyond me so Ill need to follow a plan or circuit diagram.

Last edited:
need to be type-approved so DIY is impossible and possibly illegal.

DIY is not impossible, but definitely illegal. Someone with the knowledge and RF equipment could DIY this, but type acceptance and FCC certification would be required in the USA, and other certs would be required for other countries.

Even for a one off device that would only be used if your life was in jeopardy, proper RF and digital operation would need to be verified. This means a shielded test environment and some RX and decoding equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.