Globalization sucks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Globalization sucks

Probably everyone knows unless has been living on the Moon, that pretty much all manufacturing is moving to China.

Now that being said I was still surprised by the lack of choices one faces these days. Recently I've been searching through eBay for some parts, namely VU meters, audio knobs and feet pads just to name a few. I dare say that more than 95% of what's available is from China or in less degree from Hong Kong. Even worse, you will notice that amongst hundreds or even thousands of items they are just different advertises from the same seller (using different accounts doesn't mean it's a different seller). For instance you won't find more than a handful if much, of VU meter sellers. If you don't believe me or think I'm exaggerating please search yourselves.

Being fed up with it I had the bad idea of resorting to Google... Now, together with the same auctions I already found on eBay there were others this time from Alibaba and you guessed... made in China.

I know that Google is skewed and one cannot hope for a truly and honest search unless he's very naive but enough is enough! I say it's time to put an end to it before it's too late. I'm sure there are still people out there trying to make a living and creating or manufacturing original items, the problem is we can't find them. For sure, not with Google.

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

China is so cheap that people have little choice but to buy from China.
I get my pcb's made in China for a third of the price I am quoted in the UK.

The same goes for companies. When your competitor is getting items 1/3 price you can buy in the UK they have no choice but to follow suit.

I have found the pcb's from China excellent quality and never had a bad pcb yet.
They turn them around in 2 weeks from order to receiving them.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

This is of a political nature and too easy to stray into rules violations, so to avoid that we are closing this thread. There are many sites out there to discuss this but not here.
Thanks for your understanding.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!