Price of the amp inside studio monitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:04 PM   #1
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Price of the amp inside studio monitors

Click the image to open in full size.

Well, that's the passive monitors I found on Amazon. More exist (e.g. Fostex NF1) but price info can't be found.

Seems that the amplifier accounts for ~20-25% of the total price. Actually more, since shipping and logistics (and maybe profit) is the same whether passive or active. So the cost of the amp I'm guessing is anywhere from 25 to 50% of the material cost.

But what I'm most impressed with is the performance of the amp they can pack in for the cost. For $100 or less you get 2 high + 2 low channels, usually a decent chipamp. Otherwise $100 gets you a class D amp from China of questionable quality and less power.

Now if only the speaker pair doesn't become totally worthless if one of the amp start emitting strange noises, the probability of which is squared compared to a single amplifier and increased with the lack of cooling. Can't even convert to passive because studio monitors saved the money by not using passive crossover yea. I guess there is a price to pay for the flexibility and reliability of passive setups.

Hide this!Advertise here!