The Hazards of Moving

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here it is, February. I moved September.

The stereo sits by itself, in an empty room. It has enough music to entertain itself. The rest of the room is clean. No clutter. You remember why you liked the room in the first place. It was an incredible stereo room. Time to leave. It will also be the first thing that is connected and running at the new place. It makes the move feel easier.

When you move, you have to go through the whole process of starting to understand a room all over again. If you a re a avid audiophile and particularly a avid analog fan, you have to re-acclimate yourself to the new room - all from scratch.

You walk into the new space, and try and gage it for audio fidelity (found a basement room once that was within 3% of the golden ratio). Acoustics, mechanical integrity, low frequency cut off, acoustical distribution physical reflective surfaces and repair possibilities, secondary loading or porting due to entrance and surface flexture (windows), and power distribution -all factor into your considerations.

Then you begin to bring the equipment into the room. Maybe a bit at a time. But eventually, you have your equipment in the room. then you begin the task of setting up a system. Figuring out how the room sounds, and how the physical placement of the system can be affected in all of it's parameters. Pure sonics and/or physical sensitivity. All the tricks you use, like placement of equipment, acoustical treatment, mechanical loading and stressing of equipment .......Months pass. Tweaks and subtle bits of work.. all slowly bring it back. Finally you reach the point where you were at before you moved.

I am sure when some of you have to move you find this experience fun. It's great when you find a good room.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I do consider what you are saying to be a curse that I am unfortunately aflicted with :(.

I have been living in the same place for the last 9 years (renting) and have on and off been looking for a place to buy. I have two problems.... 1st I want a garage (prefferably double) for my two cars, second one of the first things I notice, is "there is no where to do a decent set up of the stereo!)"..... Limits the choices somewhat drammatically!

Sometimes I think if I didn't care about leaving my car (the one I drive) on the street (the morris...... car no 2 is unregistered, so I can't leave it on the street) and didn't give a rats about the stereo setup, it would be so much easier to find a place to live....

As I said, It's a curse!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.