Charging issues with Samsung tablet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2015, 12:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Charging issues with Samsung tablet

I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, its electronic in nature but not audio related!

Has anyone experienced difficulties with charging your Samsung tablet computers? I have the Galaxy Tab 3 and at first, approx 2 months there were no apparent problems with it. The trouble began when the charger I'd been using a Nokia one in fact failed in that the micro USB plug got bent out of shape. At this point I tried various replacements, including the one that came with it that my wife had been using for her Kindle tablet, in all cases the charging was slow to non-existant with the tablet on, it did charge when switched off but much more slowly than previously. The original Samsung charger was rated as 5.0v @ 2A, and all the other chargers claimed to have the same specs. The current charger is a belkin model rated 5v @ 2.1a and works reasonably well but it only maintains the status quo when the tablet is on and being used, it does charge again slower than previously with the tablet turned off. The original Samsung one has now failed completely, and I only got the thing in October!

The other issue is that, when running on batteries alone they discharge more rapidly than during the initial trouble free period during the first couple of months of ownership of the device. It is very frustrating, I was thinking about performing some load tests on the chargers to try and ascertain if the problem is inside or outside the tablet.

Aside from the charging issue I have a few other minor quibbles with the tablet.

1. It has a tendency to either spontaneously change the intensity of the backlighting or to completely black out for a second or so, very annoying in mid typing or reading.
2. The quality of workmanship seems considerably inferior to my wife's Amazon Kindle tablet.
3. I'm sure there was something else too, but it escapes me for now.

This is my first experience of a tablet PC and its been somewhat dissapointing in comparison to using a laptop or desktop PC.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There is an issue with charging on these. It's software related. Sometimes a hard reset fixes it. Sometimes pulling the battery connection fixes it. The battery pull involves removing the screen to get to it. The hard reset will wipe all your info off it.
Old 20th April 2015, 10:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks jwihelm, I've heard elsewhere about the idea of disconnecting then recconecting the battery, but it seems like a rather precarious undertaking! I'll get a micro SD card to back up data and try the reset option. I'm still in the dark as to why apparently identical chargers have produced differing results?

Gordon.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have a Tab 3 8.0 with the same problem. My original charger never worked. Any other charger worked fine. After about a year it started charging very slowly, and sometimes not at all. I removed and reinstalled the battery and have been trouble free for about 4 months or so. On the 8 inch model, like mine, the rear cover simply pops off without fasteners to access the battery.
I don't know which model you have but it might be worth a look to see if yours has an easily accessible battery.
Good luck.
Old 23rd April 2015, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm View Post
There is an issue with charging on these. It's software related. Sometimes a hard reset fixes it. Sometimes pulling the battery connection fixes it. The battery pull involves removing the screen to get to it. The hard reset will wipe all your info off it.
I watched a demonstration of the battery changing procedure on you tube, however it looks very tricky with a good possibility of breaking it with my shaky hands! There does seem to be a charger issue as well though. I've tried various chargers all claiming to supply 5 volts at 2 amps, the only one that works well on both my Samsung and my wife's Kindle is the Kindle charger that came with my daughters kindle tablet. These Kindle chargers are quite costly, as these things go 18 for the charger and cable, I think.

I was thinking about splicing into a USB cable and using the 5 volt output on my bench PS to charge it, as its rock steady to 3A. I'm not sure about the connections though, I know there are 4 lines 2 Data a ground and +5v line. Is there an established color code for these wires, does anyone know?
Old 23rd April 2015, 04:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasboss775 View Post
I watched a demonstration of the battery changing procedure on you tube, however it looks very tricky with a good possibility of breaking it with my shaky hands! There does seem to be a charger issue as well though. I've tried various chargers all claiming to supply 5 volts at 2 amps, the only one that works well on both my Samsung and my wife's Kindle is the Kindle charger that came with my daughters kindle tablet. These Kindle chargers are quite costly, as these things go 18 for the charger and cable, I think.

I was thinking about splicing into a USB cable and using the 5 volt output on my bench PS to charge it, as its rock steady to 3A. I'm not sure about the connections though, I know there are 4 lines 2 Data a ground and +5v line. Is there an established color code for these wires, does anyone know?
I wouldn't trust the colour codes but if you chop a usb cord at the computer end and measure voltage on the wires you can figure it out.

I should also mention some earlier Samsung tablets would only charge from their proprietary charger. This may be part of your issue too.

The screen comes off better than it looks in the videos. There's a tool that looks like a guitar pick that helps a lot.
Old 23rd April 2015, 04:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm View Post
I should also mention some earlier Samsung tablets would only charge from their proprietary charger. This may be part of your issue too.
But why, the Samsung charger put out exactly 5 volts at up to 2A, before it failed?

What am I missing?

Gordon.

Hide this!Advertise here!