Atomic bombs and decibels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That dual paragon of both engineering achievement and human stupidity must hold some fascination for all those interested in sounds / loud noises. First generation fission bombs reportedly had an equivalent explosive power of 4000-5000 tons of TNT. That's quite a bit of noise by anyone's standards. Enough to flatten a city. Now consider this - by the mid to late 1950's the then superpowers were testing fusion bombs in the 50,000,000 ton range. :smash: The point is, that is over 40dB louder than those earlier devices. :dead:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Circlotron said:
That dual paragon of both engineering achievement and human stupidity must hold some fascination for all those interested in sounds / loud noises. First generation fission bombs reportedly had an equivalent explosive power of 4000-5000 tons of TNT. That's quite a bit of noise by anyone's standards. Enough to flatten a city. Now consider this - by the mid to late 1950's the then superpowers were testing fusion bombs in the 50,000,000 ton range. :smash: The point is, that is over 40dB louder than those earlier devices. :dead:

So are you saying we need to build a hydrogen bomb in order to make any significant difference to the loudness of our audio systems :devilr:

That's a significant cost for an extra 40db!!!!! ;)

Tony.

edit: probably a bit obtuse but were you reffering by any chance to the law of diminishing returns?

Circlotron said:

Actually, the first bombs were in the 15-25 kiloton range, and while very destructive (and loud), still not nearly enough to destroy an entire large city. While the US did at one time have at least a few 120 megaton bombs in its arsenal, the Soviet Union were the only ones to ever actually detonate a bomb with a yield greater than 10 megatons, their so-called "monster bomb" at 60 megatons. That is certainly enough to flatten a large city and its suburbs.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/hew/Usa/Tests/100ton.jpg

Or you could just do that :)
That's 100 tons of Comp B - what they used to calibrate the test equipment.

On a side note - the worlds first nuclear explosion, Trinity, was something like 20kt. The highest yield weapon the US ever produced was the MK41 however it was a 3 stage bomb and was never actually tested in it's final configuration(which was suppost to yield some 25MT).

in my school days

and that is about 15 years afo, I read a paper on a sound bomb, if my memory still serves me, it had something to do with neutrons.

it purpose of this weapon was to kill all live but leave buildings and all it's pubilc utilities stand (no harm to water, gas etc.... )
it's explosion is actually a low, very low frequency that would be just loud enough to kill but not to destruct.

And as a added info, I am pretty sure that some country has this device.

Jean-Pierre

Eommmmmmmm

them it wasn't neutronbased

Sch3mat1c said:
Neutron bombs have to do with radiation (neutron flux) irradiating everything. Particularly gruesome injuries due to radiation burns, etc. :bigeyes:

TIm

cause the real advantage? of it was that nothing got radiated, only killed by low, ultra low and loud frequencies........
of I could only remember the name of the darn thing...

J-P

only 1.21 gigawatts

only 1.21 gigawatts was necessary to power the delorean..although it did require a nuclear reaction, thus the necessity of plutonium.

Dr. Brown (who's middle name was Lathrop, by the way), for some reason always pronounced it "jigawatts"...

a little off the subject..but of great importance to those who may have been misguided in the sacred history of Hill Valley :)

dlv

Re: Re: Atomic bombs and decibels.

tpenguin said:
While the US did at one time have at least a few 120 megaton bombs in its arsenal *snip*
:bigeyes: What I think would be way cool (if you had a spare planet that didn't matter) would be to detonate one of those things several miles deep in the ocean. I imagine it would make an enormous ball of superheated steam pushing against the water at 3 or 4 tons per square inch at that depth. The steam ball would start to rise toward the surface but at it went it would cool down and condense, giving up it's heat to the cold ocean water. By the time it got to the top there might be nothing left except a rising thermal current of warm water. I wonder how far the shock wave would travel, seeing that the water is basically incompressible. If you were a safe distance away, what would a shock wave in the water feel like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.