CD shelf finnished

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my new CD shelf. Designed it wirh SketchUp and built it using Oak. Fits some 540 CD's, plus some storage place. I think it looks quite good. ;)

If anyone wants the plans, just send me a message.

Attachments

• CD shelf ready.jpg
    CD shelf ready.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 299
  • WP_20150209_15_38_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_15_38_44_Pro.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 284
  • WP_20150209_15_40_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_15_40_58_Pro.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 280
Well... there's about 500 there on the shelf and some more on my hard drive. But there always seems to be the same dilema when picking music to listen to: "this I've just listened to, this hasn't the proper mood, this one is boaring, this one is such a bad recording etc. :D

Very nice. I am interested in the plans, so I'll PM you.

We moved a few months ago, and my CD storage racks got left behind (at the buyer's request) - they were a bunch of the IKEA metal racks, screwed to the walls/studs, so I would have had to patch a lot of screw-holes if I'd taken them. Since then, primary storage for a lot of my CD's is those moving boxes while the rest of the house got sorted out.

However, I also found it unexpectedly difficult to find a good DIY plan for storing larger quantities of CD's (i.e. >500). I'd started trying to plan out my own design, but I like how yours turned out. Sharing would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I'm not finding any way (without links) to attach the pics within PM, so here they are. If measurments are needed in inchies, that can be arranged. :)

If questions, please ask.
- Jukka

Attachments

• CD shelf.jpg
    CD shelf.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 136
  • CD shelf support holes.jpg
    CD shelf support holes.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 116
... But there always seems to be the same dilema when picking music to listen to: "this I've just listened to, this hasn't the proper mood, this one is boaring, this one is such a bad recording etc. :D

Besides upgrading my system with DIY gear, a major improvement to the listening experience was to store all my music, in FLAC format, on a dedicated server, and build play lists for different moods and occasions.

Btw. the top board is deliberately 4 mm narrower than the side boards - and also the side boards reach 2mm above the top board surface. These details bring a little vividness and style to the shelf. :cool:

And also since the top board is 4mm narrower, the middle board has to be tapered the same amount from the top end. I started the tapering 140mm (one shelf gap) from the top.

Also the drawers are made to be recessed about 2-3mm. I think this gives them a better appearance than being stationed exactly at the edge of the shelf.

The shelf can also be made less deep if one wants, but I though 18cm gave a balanced look.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.