Breaker correct amp for kitchen! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2015, 09:36 PM   #1
oszkar is offline oszkar  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Breaker correct amp for kitchen!

Hello!

I am going to add an electrical stove in my kitchen near to my fridge, microwave, e-grill, toaster and coffee machine! At this time I have a 16A breaker on the feedline for it and a 1,5mm copper! What changes should I do? I have a place where it could be pluged in and never removed from there looking at it the way that the socket has never had anything else plugged in ever, no loose contacts so that heat would build up! Thank you!
Old 6th February 2015, 09:45 PM   #2
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oszkar View Post

I am going to add an electrical stove in my kitchen At this time I have a 16A breaker on the feedline for it and a 1,5mm copper! What changes should I do?
This should be ok. If you have several appliances on at the same time, you may want to use separate circuits to avoid tripping the breaker.
Old 6th February 2015, 09:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am thinking to put a 20A breaker, I am at times having my fridge run auto turn-on , microwave 1200w for about 3min and oven plus top spot of the oven for cooking, would that be too much?
Old 6th February 2015, 09:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Aragaz electric Hansa FCCX68219, 4 zone gatit, Cuptor electric, Grill, Clasa A++, Inox - eMAG.ro
Old 6th February 2015, 10:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am thinking to put a 20A breaker, I am at times having my fridge run auto turn-on ,
microwave 1200w for about 3min and oven plus top spot of the oven for cooking, would that be too much?

Probably yes. Bear in mind that the breaker should trip before the wire is stressed. Try to use several separate circuits.
Old 6th February 2015, 10:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That means new breaker, new wires through the ceiling?!
Old 6th February 2015, 10:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That means new breaker, new wires through the ceiling?!
Maybe so, I'd get advice from a local electrician.
Old 6th February 2015, 11:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello!

I am going to add an electrical stove in my kitchen near to my fridge, microwave, e-grill, toaster and coffee machine! At this time I have a 16A breaker on the feedline for it and a

1,5mm copper!

What changes should I do? I have a place where it could be pluged in and never removed from there looking at it the way that the socket has never had anything else plugged in ever, no loose contacts so that heat would build up! Thank you!
Um, here we have 240volt, and 1.5mm is only used for light circuits.
For normal power points its 2.5mm and above.
for high current items like ovens etc, its 4mm and above.

Running anything in the kitchen with 1.5mm cable is just begging to have the house burn down.

And double this for 110volt.

I won't even mention that you need to allow for the length of the cable from circuit breaker to the device.
Or where and how the cable is run (under insulation etc).
Thermal de-rating of cable.
Type of cable (copper clad steel, single core, multi core, etc)

To save you the heart break of a burnt out house or someones death, PLEASE, contact a licensed electrician in your country.
Old 7th February 2015, 02:43 PM   #9
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  England
diyAudio Member

Old n Cranky is correct..

In the UK 1.5 lighting backed up with 6A breaker
2.5 ring main or 4mm radial. 32 amp breaker

Cooker is dependant on power rating..this effects the cable size based upon installation. (clipped to a wall or in between plaster board etc) this derates the cable capacity.

Check the regulations for your country. Normally the breaker is protecting the cable not the appliance.

NB its not unusual to see 6mm or larger and the length effects the size as well..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 7th February 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 7th February 2015, 02:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok some sord solved it! On my apliances that do no more than 1300w per piece I have the copper wire 1,5mm, and a breaker of 16A! For the oven I thought a 20A breaker with 2,5mm copper wire that will run through a plastic put against the wall with a lead on top of it! This oven is class A++ so to be said, year of production now three years ago when the first piece was lauched! A 4,5mm wire shoul do only for the oven or once more, wouldn't it?

Hide this!Advertise here!