What can I do accoustically with this room? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2015, 09:17 PM   #1
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What can I do accoustically with this room?

If there is a better place for this thread, mod pleasue move it. I didn't see a catagory quit supporting accoustic modificaitons to rooms.

My downstairs room is a very long 24' by 12' wide. slightly less than 8 X 4 M.

Three walls are panneling. The fourth is brick with a fireplace. The floor is wall to wall carpeting.

As soon as I finish moving my EX's stuff out I plan on trying my hand at accousttic modifications. The mirror over the couch is the first to go. I plan on replacing it with a 6' x 4' welvet tappestry.

The speakers and TV will be shifted left about 3 ft (1M).

I'm looking for suggestions as to what else I can do to adjust the room.

Speakers are Klipsch Heresy series 1 from 1977. Stereo is currently a Phillips AV receiver, but I have a DH-200 I will be using once I finish refurbishing it. I will also be using various tube amplifiers.

Turntable is an SL-1200. CD player is a Shiga Clone.

I'm interested in getting better audio quality at the current couch position.

Thanks.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: png IntertainmentSystem.png (137.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: png Computer End.png (463.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: png FireplaceEnd.png (422.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png Couch.png (454.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 24th January 2015, 09:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Move couch away from wall. Simples!
Old 24th January 2015, 09:57 PM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
My downstairs room is a very long 24' by 12' wide. The mirror over the couch is the first to go.
I plan on replacing it with a 6' x 4' welvet tappestry.I'm interested in getting better audio quality at the current couch position.
The couch would be ok close to the back wall if you hang a thick wool rug in the area in back of your head.
If the tapestry you plan to use is thin, some additional material in back of it would help, like an old, thick area rug, especially wool.
Thick drapes on the windows will also help, as will scattered hangings on the paneling to break up the reflections.
Keep the speakers well away from the corners. Good luck.
Old 24th January 2015, 09:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

How far?
Old 25th January 2015, 12:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How far?
Position your couch as centered as possible along the long wall and choose your seat. Please the speakers in an equilateral triangle wrt your seat,
as far from the wall behind them as you think correct. Now experiment with increasing the spacing and toe-in. Try to keep them as symmetrical as possible,
using a tape measure etc. to position them. You may want to add risers underneath them to adjust the height and tilt. The height adjustment is more for
the bass, and the tilt adjustment is more for the highs. Before you start all this, add the acoustical treatment on the wall behind your head, or you'll be trying to
compensate for the scatter from behind you.

Last edited by rayma; 25th January 2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 26th January 2015, 02:53 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like you will have a nice listening room.

The biggest, bestest thing you can do to improve the room acoustics is to get the floor and ceiling out of parallel. That will help a huge amount. I don't recommend that you tilt the floor, but you can work on the ceiling.

Whatever you can do to slope it or break it up is going to be good. Wood, acoustic tile, whatever. The bigger the change, the bigger the effect. And the lower in frequency it will work.

After that you will want absorbers. Fiberglass or cotton insulation covered in heary cloth works wonders. So do heavy drapes. Moving in shelves full of books, LPs, electronic gear and such will act as diffusers to break up the areas without absorption. Cluttered is good. A roll or two of fiberglass in the corners can go a long way to kill room nodes. Can also be covered in fabric.

Those are the basics. The ceiling will be a big project, but it will be the basis for all other improvements.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Are there any recommended programs for measuring room acoustics to make comparisons when changes are made to the room?

Anyone tried this?

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

It looks like it is designed to use with a parametric equalizer, which I'm not interested in right now. I was thinking in terms of running a scan, make a change and run another scan for comparison.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I like REW a lot. Didn't take me long to get up and running - used my mixing desk as a mic preamp, and fed that into my laptop. Easy peasy.
You can use a parametric EQ to flatten the frequency response of stuff - REW can suggest settings for a few popular EQs, which was very useful when it came to setting up my PA with active crossovers and a DCX.

REW can save graphs and overlay them, so a good tool to use for comparison purposes IMHO.
Don't give up on EQs entirely - putting one in front of a subwoofer to sort out the worst of the room effects can help a lot.

Chris
Old 27th January 2015, 02:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks all,

I see there is a thread about acoustic panels. I'll take hints from it as well.

I purchased a 5' X 7' beige Berber area rug for $28 and hung it in back of the couch.

Speakers are 12' apart and 12' from the center position on the couch. The couch is about 1' (30.5cm) from the back wall.

I bought two plastic crates and used them to elevate the speakers about 14" (35.5cm).
Old 27th January 2015, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I purchased a 5' X 7' beige Berber area rug for $28 and hung it in back of the couch. Speakers are 12' apart and 12' from the center position on the couch.
The couch is about 1' (30.5cm) from the back wall.I bought two plastic crates and used them to elevate the speakers about 14" (35.5cm).
Berber is good for behind the couch, make sure it goes well below your ear level. Start with an equilateral triangle, and then reduce the separation only if necessary.
Experiment with the speaker's tilt and toe in, as well as height.

Hide this!Advertise here!