lm 3915 vu meter problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
shorted capacitor?(without a meter it's impossible to tell)
inverse polarity on the diode?(ditto)
just because a part looks physically ok doesn't mean it is.
resistors can be open or off tolerance but look ok.
so without a meter how can you be sure the parts you added including the diode are ok (and the right way around)

Spiny
Resistor between pin 7 to pin 8 is 1k
resistor from diode to negative is 100k and other resistor from diode is 1k. capacitor im using is 1uf and capacitor positive connects diode cathode and negative to ground :/ When i connect my audio to pin 5 everything works but only 6 leds blink... when i connect to diode all the leds immiadetly turns off

Its working - Reverse the diode and the leds should blink.
Try some different cap values like 0.5uf (0.47 will be preferred value) or 0.047uf (47nf) once it is working with the diode, a 1n4148 is fine.

To check all are working connect +ve to Pin 5 (or the diode)

I suspect the reason the last few are not working is a peculiarity of the breadboard. This type has the power lines split in the middle, you need to connect across the gap. See attachment.

Sorry I missed that earlier. With a meter you can check continuity. Handy gadgets, like most folks here I have several mainly cheap ones and one expensive and calibrated one to check the others against.
see this which I think is the type you have.
electronics introduction to breadboards

alan

Attachments

• breadboard.jpg
    breadboard.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
its pretty cheap turk. like 10 euro :D
tryed reversing the diode and after i touched the my audio wire to diode i could hear cracking sounds:D i dont think so thats supposed to happen.
Tryed to connect those power lines together but still nothing ;/ Hmmm strange.. i guess if i connect my audio to the diode something should happen no matter 1uf or 0,5uf.. but now nothing happens at all.. not even first led blinking. i might missed some connections but everyyything seems okay without multimeter

You need to connect the power lines, removing the 100K resistor will cause the capacitor to hold its voltage - and the display is showing the voltage climbing.

What are you using for audio? as it is this is suitable for loudspeaker output - and it would be loud! to light all the LEDs

Check the 100K really is should be brown black yellow for the bands on a 4 band resistor (with silver/gold as the finaly band) the image is not good enough to read the bands so can not tell.

alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.